PDA

View Full Version : Train Simulators

Guilford350
08-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Do you play train simlulators? If so, which one is your favorite? I like Microsoft Train Simulator the best because its very realistic and there are tons of add-ons you can download such as new routes, locomotives, and cars. Plus, you can make your own routes and trains. What's your view on train simulators?

iCe
08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
The only one I played before is the Microsoft one, I think it's very good.
Oh, I also played a Japanese one...can't really remember, It was like a regional train...and the whole scenery is videotaped. Quite interesting.

E.M. Bell
08-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Train Sim is an interesting diversion, but I find it to be very un-realistic. I have over 12 years behind the throttle, and I can tell you first hand that the game just does not behave like the real thing. Dynamics dont hold back as well as they should, and I have never saw a first service application stop a 100 car train....but its still fun to mess with.

My favorite thng is to run steam. The UP steam pack (big boys and such) and the NKP berks are most groovy, and DO behave a lot like the real thing. IF you want a REAL train sim challange, put together a decent size passenger train, turnoff the automatic fireman, and run that puppy and fire it at the same time... it will keep ya on your toes!!

Chris Starnes
08-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Emmett is right guys....its fun to play with but it is just not like the real thing :wink:

I have made some 'tweaks' to some CSX locos and cars which have them fairly accurate, as far as over the road handling and such. I have one trainset (2 CSX GEs and 90 coal loads) which I have pertty well tweaked out. On the CSX Kingsport Subdivision (former Clinchfield) Route that Jerry Sullivan put out, you can come out of Sandy Ridge Tunnel and start dropping down into Dante with 10lbs on the train and using dynamics to hold you back under 20mph.....which is how it is done in real life. This can be done by going in with wordpad and editing some of the files associated with the physics of the cars/engines. The big thing is to change the application/release rate of the brakes...thats where most of the non-realistic stuff comes in at.

But to answer your question - from what I have seen MSTS does come as close to anything else to getting it right....but they still lack on a few points.

Chris