PDA

View Full Version : Member Contact/E-Mail Screening - how about a poll?

nickhp
10-15-2004, 04:14 AM
Seems that I have missed e-mail from people trying to contact me through railpictures because they may have said things in the e-mail that the screeners didn't like. Is there a way that members who post their pictures could choose whether or not e-mails to them are screened?

I have an e-mail account just for contact through railpictures, so I can do my own screening.

I guess the alternative is for me to change my username to my e-mail address so that people can get my address without having to click the "contact" option, but I'll ask the question about non-screening first and go from there.

Anyone care to vote here?

Chris Starnes
10-15-2004, 04:29 AM
As long as the email is obviously not spam and doesn't contain harsh or abusive language toward the photographer, it is approved. There is no way, without a TON on reprogramming, to change the fact that the emails are screened. With the amount of spam we reject (people wanting to "give" you a million bucks, sell you insurance, and tell you how "hot" you are, etc), I think it is needed that the emails are screened.

I will say that sometimes the email screening window will lock up and as a result you sometimes screen two emails at once. So in the unusual case that happens, if the first email is rejected the one in the "queue" behind it may suffer the same fate.

Ween
10-15-2004, 05:08 AM
doesn't contain harsh or abusive language toward the photographer, it is approved.

Have you actually had people write something to another photographer like, "Hey, man, you *explitive deleted* suck!"? I can't imagine, unless it was some punk just trying to ruffle some feathers.

Here's an option, you can display your e-mail on the message board here by tinkering with your profile. That way, someone trying to contact you doesn't have to go through the screeners for approval. I realize that's probably not what you're looking for, but it's just an option...

Jonathan Guy
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm happy with things the way they are. Like Chris mentioned above, this way I don't get bombarded with spam. So, Thanks to the screeners that keep the problems down.

petertenthije
10-19-2004, 07:10 PM
I never even realised these messages where screened!

Does this mean I have to always write messages in English.... even when speaking to a fellow Dutchmen or to a German? In the past I have sent out Dutch and German e-mails through JP and I believe also through RP.