PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the future of Class 1 Railroads in the U.S.

ccaranna
10-17-2004, 10:10 PM
I've been spotting quite a few western class 1 units here in the midwest (Ohio, specifically). Solid lashups of UP and BNSF power is not uncommon, and these units mixed with CSX and NS has become an almost regular occurance.

Are we looking at a becoming a two railroad nation?

quiksmith10
10-17-2004, 11:52 PM
I went out yesterday (Saturday) and saw a coal train with double Union Pacific power on CSX rails (keep in mind I live in Maryland). I also saw a mixed freight with the lead locomotive being a BSNF. I've been seeing a lot more mixed engines lately, not too mention a lot of lease engines also.

Lord Vader
10-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Run through power does not reflect any corporate consolidation intrigue.

cmherndon
10-18-2004, 02:55 AM
I dont' really forsee any major merging going on here in the near future mainly because of some service issues (see UP/CNW '95, UP/SP '96, NS & CSX/Conrail '99). I'm not sure the ICC would allow something like that right now. We get a lot of UP and BNSF power here in Central Kentucky too, but it's just run-through since most of the trains through here originate/terminate at St. Louis or Kansas City.

Lord Vader
10-18-2004, 03:06 AM
The ICC? :shock: Ya mean STB?

It'll happen eventually. Money talks and BS walks.

cmherndon
10-18-2004, 06:10 AM
The ICC? :shock: Ya mean STB?

Yeah, one of them there "gummit" organizations (my favorite oxymoron). Too many of them to even keep 'em straight anymore.

ranger 101
11-02-2004, 05:07 AM
I have seen a lot of run through foreign power here in Greensburg, Pa on the NS Pittsburgh Line in the last 6 months. Mainly BNSF and a few UP. I guess that really doesn't mean a whole lot until the power starts to become 50/50 then you start to wonder. I don't think the STB would approve an mergers anyway. However, BNSF merging w/ NS would be good for us railfans. More color in the NS consists :wink: