PDA

View Full Version : Picture Rejected for bad cropping, why?

ssw9662
10-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi,

A couple weeks ago I sent in several photos to this site and all of them got rejected.

http://www.trainweb.org/asni/photos/NS%209884.JPG

About 7 of the photos I sent in were similar to this one, and all 7 were rejected for "Bad Cropping". I was following the "Rule of Thirds" when I took this photo and this is exactly like alot of the pictures I see here. If anyone (particularly screeners) can tell me why these shots got rejected I could recrop and resend the photos. Thanks in advance! :)

StL-rail
10-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Yay, I get to play screener! :D
It's true that the shot does have good composition, and you followed the rule of thirds very well, I must say. However, I don't quite agree with the "bad cropping" rejection, I think one to do with the lighting of the photo would have been more approiate. There is no real definition in the lighting, its obvious that it was taken on a cloudy day, resulting in very diffused light, and no strong shadows. Also, photos of "ghosts" or primer units are becoming pretty common, so its almost like common power now. As for cropping, I can find just one thing . . . take off a little bit infront of the train to get a tighter shot.
I hope that I helped, sometimes a little goes a long way. :lol:

Lord Vader
10-22-2004, 04:36 AM
The "dead space" to the left is the issue. If you had angled the camera a bit to the right to get more of the train, it likely would have been accepted.

Silagi
10-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Or cropping the existing photo to something more like this eliminating the dead space and focusing more on the train.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/silagi/untitled.jpg

ssw9662
10-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Also, photos of "ghosts" or primer units are becoming pretty common, so its almost like common power now.

FYI this is going to be the last order of NS "D9-40CW's". They will be replaced with ES40DC's (although they are also probably gonna be primers). Also, primers only show up certian times of the year, it's unlikely to see a primer in the time from December to March, since NS tends to have units delivered from March to October (The last 15 are being delivered now).

Or cropping the existing photo to something more like this eliminating the dead space and focusing more on the train.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/silagi/untitled.jpg

Thanks, maybe I'll try that.

The "dead space" to the left is the issue. If you had angled the camera a bit to the right to get more of the train, it likely would have been accepted.

Unfortunately, moving the camera any farther to the right would have resulted in the rest of the image filled with foliage cluttering the scene, which could only be removed by wandering onto NS property.

ddavies
10-22-2004, 12:12 PM
If you cropped out the "dead ballast" in the forground, so the train would be 2/3 the way down in the picture, rather than in the middle, the composition would be improved.

ssw9662
10-22-2004, 12:14 PM
If you cropped out the "dead ballast" in the forground, so the train would be 2/3 the way down in the picture, rather than in the middle, the composition would be improved.

OK Thanks! :)

ssw9662
10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
I just got one accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=82410

As you can see I cropped it so that it would show:

The SD45-2 in 3rd ( 8) )
The ties scattered between tracks 1 and 2.
The solid NS EMD lashup ( 8) again)

rpalmer
10-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi,

A couple weeks ago I sent in several photos to this site and all of them got rejected.

About 7 of the photos I sent in were similar to this one, and all 7 were rejected for "Bad Cropping". I was following the "Rule of Thirds" when I took this photo and this is exactly like alot of the pictures I see here. If anyone (particularly screeners) can tell me why these shots got rejected I could recrop and resend the photos. Thanks in advance! :)

I guess it depends on what you like to see in a photo. The majority of train photos can either catagorized as a roster shot or an action shot. In my opinion, you need to decide what you'd like your photos to depict: the entire train as a major part of a trackside scene, or a roster shot of the power. The example you showed is somewhere in between, and violates some of the fundamantal rules of each. If you look at it as a roster shot, it needs to be cropped tighter to emphasize the lead unit more. If you look at it as an action shot, it needs to be framed more to the right so that the train isn't cut off by the right edge of the photo. If that wasn't possible in this situation, then perhaps you should have found a different location for the photo.
Once again, this is just my personal opinion.

mtrails
10-23-2004, 05:34 PM
I am realatively new to RP, and I had my first dozen of photos rejected for bad cropping especially. I didn't have much help from the screeners, so I had to compare with photos on the site. I have learned to crop the photos after they have been taken, rather than to determine a properly cropped photo at the time I take them. I have had to crop a photo 3 separate times until it was accepted. A slight angle difference when taking a shot can determine how much content will be a part of the photo, or cropped out.
http://www.geocities.com/mmetalhhead/collage.jpg