PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Carolina & Western loco news

ShortlinesUSA
07-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Apparently, the ACWR has adopted a new paint scheme. Recently repainted GP40-2L 9529 now sports a solid dark green nose with large emblem, and removes the cream band that previously went all the way around. I'm very pleased to see them still painting units. A lot of speculation (confirmed with some fact) was that the PGA US Open in Pinehurst, NC a few years back is what got them to repaint their fleet in the first place.

BUT, just as soon as a former CN bandit disappears, it seems another is on its way. CN 9423 is enroute to the ACWR now via CSX.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Joe the Photog
07-15-2009, 04:48 AM
I hope to get up there soon to catch the 9529. Still not sure I like the new version.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I had to post it.
[photoid=290714]

Joe the Photog
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
What took you so long? I saw the other ACWR shot you have in the database and thought you made a long drive for one shot!

ShortlinesUSA
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
The nose emblem does it a lot of justice. Is 9529 the first one to get this scheme? Also wondering how many of the new arrivals over the last couple of years have been painted. It sure was nice when they had the whole fleet painted for a while, and hopefully they're headed that way again.

Thanks for the photo and additional info.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
07-16-2009, 01:55 AM
What took you so long? I saw the other ACWR shot you have in the database and thought you made a long drive for one shot!
Actually, the ACWR was just a stop on our way from Chicago to Raleigh to pick up grandma and bring her back to Jersey. We got lucky with the yard job switching. We were told a train was in Aberdeen but all we saw was the CSX guy switching. I figure one shot is enough to show where I was and when I was there. :lol:

BR549
07-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Presently, the 9593 is in the shop and in primer for the new paint scheme. The 9624 will be right behind it when the 93 hits the road again.

In regards to the 9423: they are going to take one of the units already in their fleet, make a mother unit out of it, and make a cab-operable slug of the 9423 and mate them together. That'll be their first mother/slug combonation.

In regards to operations: The ACWR made their first revenue run to Gulf today for the first time in 6 years. With the 9538, 9582, and 9529, a 400 job left Star this morning, with 34 storage cars in tow. They set out the storage cars in Carbonton siding, 5 miles west of Gulf. And then picked up 19 loads from the NS at Gulf and returned to Star. Rumor has it that NS will be delivering 30-car cuts of spent grain to the ACWR at Gulf 2 to 3 times a week. These loads will be destined to Candor for Perdue and Mountaire Farms. Once the 30 cars are emptied, they'll return them to Gulf to pick up the next 30-car cut. Some of the most scenic, and action-packed territory is on that side of the railroad. And will prove very fruitful to anyone who decides to give chase. And that won't be hard to do as that line is presently 10 MPH.

Joe the Photog
07-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Will there be any rhyme or reason to when they run to Gulf?

BR549
07-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Will there be any rhyme or reason to when they run to Gulf?

Not right out of the gate. But I'm sure as these cars begin to flow and the traffic develops some sort of a pattern, there will be. The run is a little over 30 miles at 10 MPH ... so they're not gonna burn a whole day running back and forth for just a handful of cars. Whenever there are empties to be taken back and loads to be picked up is when a train will run.

I hope they'll pick some days that I have off to make the run ... as I have scouted the route and it hosts a plethora of photogenic locations.

Joe the Photog
07-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Any plans to paint the high hood GP9? (Can't remember if they kept the 4444 or the 4446.) It would look real nifty to see it in the new scheme.

ShortlinesUSA
07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
While we're on loco doings at the ACWR, what ever became of the set of F-units that went there from the Ohio Central? I heard everything from plans for a business train to a dinner train, but seems like talk of anything died not all that long after those units got to Star. Thanks to all for the great info so far...

BR549
07-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Joe: You must be referring to the 4444. ACWR has placed that unit at Mountaire Farms in Candor for them to use at their disposal moving cars around within their plant. I seriously doubt that unit will ever leave Mountaire, or see new paint.

Mike: The Fs are actually on the shop track, parked behind the depot. Although they have started tinkering on them, they are still a ways from being road ready. And I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut they'll be on the next dinner train after they're ready. I'd also be willing to bet they'll get a paint job too. Mr. Menzies is very proud of his dinner train and loves to show it off in style. He puts on a good show when he does.

BR549
07-25-2009, 05:08 AM
The 9593 is coming along rather quickly. She'll probably be back on the road in a couple of weeks. Same scheme as the 9529.

The 9423 arrived into Aberdeen yesterday and the 200 job pulled it to Candor this evening. It'll probably be moved to Star either Sunday or Monday.

Joe the Photog
07-25-2009, 06:32 AM
I heard they were going to run to Gulf come this Monday if anyone is interested. I'll have to wait a month or two before I can get there.

BR549
07-28-2009, 12:58 AM
I heard they were going to run to Gulf come this Monday if anyone is interested. I'll have to wait a month or two before I can get there.

They didn't make it to Gulf today. Still waiting on a few of the cars that came in on the first trip to get unloaded before they go back. It will be Thursday, at the earliest.

FAdams
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Do they (AC&W) ever make it to Charlotte, NC anymore?

BR549
07-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Do they (AC&W) ever make it to Charlotte, NC anymore?

Yes, although not on a consistant basis. Once, maybe sometimes twice a week, when traffic warrants.

ShortlinesUSA
07-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Wow, that'd be a bit of change from when I was last over that way a few years ago. They had a local based at Oakboro, NC that was going to Charlotte and Star on an alternating day schedule M-Sa (3 days a week to Charlotte, 3 days to Star).

Is the local still based at Oakboro, or are they just running to Charlotte from Star as they need to? Appreciate all the good info, BR!

BR549
08-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Wow, that'd be a bit of change from when I was last over that way a few years ago. They had a local based at Oakboro, NC that was going to Charlotte and Star on an alternating day schedule M-Sa (3 days a week to Charlotte, 3 days to Star).

Is the local still based at Oakboro, or are they just running to Charlotte from Star as they need to? Appreciate all the good info, BR!

Mike, I'm not as familiar with operations on the West side of Star. So someone who is might want to chime in.

There is still a local based out of Oakboro. However, most of that crew's responsibility is switching the new ethanol transload facility which recently got underway in Midland. The ethanol comes to Norwood via the WSSB as unit trains and the Oakboro crew takes the train in cuts to Midland. After all of the cars are emptied, the train goes back out as a unit. This process can take up to a couple of weeks.

The Oakboro crew does make occasional trips to Charlotte when the traffic for other customers demands it. I'm not familiar with that end of the railroad so I have no idea what the customer base is on that part of the railroad. As far as running to Star, that trip is only necessary when their locomotives are due a periodic inspection and they trade off for fresh power.

The 9593 has already been released from the shop with it's new paint. It was coupled to the 9529 this past Friday for a photo shoot. That makes 2 units to wear the new paint scheme. It's my understanding that the 9624 is next to be painted, as it still bears the CN bandit scheme. After the 24 is painted, the only unit in their fleet to carry the CN bandit scheme is the unit they just received a week ago. That unit will be outfitted to be a cab-operable slug and will be mated with the 703. It is rumored that the mother/slug set will be permanently based out of Oakboro.

In regards to the Fs, I've heard that they're going to be road ready a little sooner than everyone has expected. We may see them pulling a dinner train around before the end of the year. They will be repainted. However, I'm told that they will be getting their own special paint scheme. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you in suspense on that one.

Lots of interesting things going on around the ACWR in many departments. I guess that would be evident by the number of hits this thread is receiving.

TrainFanNZ
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice to see this RR back up & running. Good on NS to for kick starting them with 30 loads 2-3 times week. congrats to both RRs.

BR549
08-18-2009, 05:18 AM
The 9593 has already been released from the shop with it's new paint. It was coupled to the 9529 this past Friday for a photo shoot. That makes 2 units to wear the new paint scheme. It's my understanding that the 9624 is next to be painted, as it still bears the CN bandit scheme. After the 24 is painted, the only unit in their fleet to carry the CN bandit scheme is the unit they just received a week ago.

The 9624 is in the shop to receive it's new paint. And I have been told that ALL of the locomotives in the fleet (even the ones carrying the original ACWR scheme) will be repainted into the new scheme with the logo on the nose.

ShortlinesUSA
08-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Great to hear, and thank you very much for continuing to keep us updated on the doings at the ACWR. This is very welcome news for those of us that remember the years of a hodgepodge of bandits in varying degrees of lack of paint that comprised the roster at this operation not so long ago!

ShortlinesUSA
08-30-2009, 03:18 PM
On a semi-related note, here is a recent photo posted that shows former ACWR GP38 2077 in her new life north of the border:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=294981&nseq=0

Maybe one of our NC folks can validate my memory, but wasn't this one called "The Big Ugly" before being repainted, due to its horrendous state of Chessie paint?

Joe the Photog
08-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Indeed she was. She went from this --

[photoid=56545]

to

[photoid=94206]

to

[photoid=294981]

BR549
09-20-2009, 06:03 AM
Mike, I'm not as familiar with operations on the West side of Star. So someone who is might want to chime in.

I can chime in now! Here are current active customers starting in Charlotte and heading East:

Borel Brick in Charlotte - Receives cars from both NS in Charlotte and WSSB in Norwood. Not very active, but not dead.

Ethynol Transload in Midland - Is switched once a day, usually in the evenings.

Talley Farms in Stanfield - Very active customer. ACWR took 4 empties out to NS this past Tuesday and spotted another load that evening.

Locust Lumber and Oakboro Oil in Oakboro

Carolina Stalite between Oakboro and Norwood - very active customer.

WSSB interchange in Norwood

Jordan Lumber in Mt. Gilead - Receives empties to be loaded from both NS in Charlotte and WSSB in Norwood. Jordan Lumber is seasonal and appears to be coming in season. ACWR made two trips to Charlotte this past week account of this traffic.

ACWR has unloaded close to 10 gondola loads of rail and joint bars in Midland. Cannot confirm if this is for storage space for the ethynol cars or a possible new customer.

Alot of track work has been done between Norwood and Midland, obviously for the ethynol traffic. Workers are now replacing ties between Midland and Charlotte. And there is talk that the rest of the line between Norwood to Star will be retied afterwards.

BR549
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
In regards to the 9423: they are going to take one of the units already in their fleet, make a mother unit out of it, and make a cab-operable slug of the 9423 and mate them together. That'll be their first mother/slug combonation.

The 703 will be the mother unit for this slug. The slug will be renumbered 704. Currently, most of the electrical work has been done and the unit has already been painted. All that's left to do to it (cosmetically) is have the lettering and stenciling applied and then be clear-coated. They are now in the process of doing the electrical work to the 703.

On the operations side of things, ACW is still making periodic trips to Gulf. They brought back their largest train (36 loads) from Gulf to Star this past Tuesday.

Something new for the ACW is the change of routing for one of their customers. Around the first of the year, ACW began sending out loads from Carolina Stalite to Aberdeen. This business had been outbounding at Norwood to the WSSB. The empties still come in via the WSSB. However, the loads are going out at Aberdeen to the CSX. This change brings about the first regular revenue train service between Star and Norwood in quite some time. As of right now, the Oakboro crew picks up the Stalite loads and leaves them at Jordan Lumber in Mt. Gilead. The night crew comes out of Star engine lite to Jordan Lumber, picks up the loads, and takes them back to Star and points beyond. I think that the empties will eventually take the same routing as the loads. But that's still yet to be determined.

Joe the Photog
02-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Will they repaint the 703 to make her match her slug?

BR549
02-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Will they repaint the 703 to make her match her slug?

Yes. It is in the process of being painted now.