PDA

View Full Version : New Dictionary Terms

cmherndon
10-26-2004, 02:02 AM
A few more terms have now been added to the Railfan's Dictionary. Feel free to use the following terms in your railfanning lingo. As always, you can view the entire dictionary at www.cmherndon.com/dictionary

Digital bow - When one immediately looks at their shot on a digital camera before the train has finished passing.

Flamed - Standing on an overpass to shoot down on an aging GE locomotive and then failing to move in time while doing the digital bow.

Smoked - When a hotshot train overtakes a lower priority train. "Man, on the way down to Oakdale, we got smoked by 229 and 133."

ssw9662
11-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Those are great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a good one I made up:

Lowering the flag Taking your camera off of it's tripod after an unsucessful railfan trip.

mtrails
11-05-2004, 12:50 AM
I have "Lowered the flag" several times, usualy right after I see the preview just after the shot was taken. How about having a "Rail Tantrum"; when you've set up for the shot, waited for the train, and your camera goes on the fritz with numerous error messages. In my case, "card error", or "no card" when you know the memory card is properly in place, and plenty of memory on it. (see photo) A severe rail tantrum was thrown that day, and the camera was almost thrown into the river. That leads me to another term, "Digi-smack" -when you are smacking the camera furiously, trying to get whatever bug out of it in time for the shot!
http://www.geocities.com/mmetalhhead/wb3.jpg

Ween
11-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Shootin' Blanks: When brand new, not-broken-in rechargeable batteries take one or two photos, and then shut off right as you're about to snap a good or rare shot.

Sammy Sosa: When said brand new, not-broken-in rechargeable batteries get thrown as if Sammy's throwing a pill to home plate from right field.

cmherndon
11-05-2004, 03:57 AM
I have "Lowered the flag" several times, usualy right after I see the preview just after the shot was taken. How about having a "Rail Tantrum"; when you've set up for the shot, waited for the train, and your camera goes on the fritz with numerous error messages. In my case, "card error", or "no card" when you know the memory card is properly in place, and plenty of memory on it.

Well, any problem with the camera can usually be summed up in the term "camera f***ed." That term gets used quite a bit 'round these parts! :D

mtrails
11-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Ok, let me rephrase that then... I had a "Rail Tantrum" just after being "Camera F***ed"! :x

cmherndon
11-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Ok, let me rephrase that then... I had a "Rail Tantrum" just after being "Camera F***ed"! :x

You're learning the lingo now. We'll make a railfan out of you yet! :D

cometv
11-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Sounds like those digital wonders aren't quite ready to displace Kodachrome after all. :wink:

cmherndon
11-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Sounds like those digital wonders aren't quite ready to displace Kodachrome after all. :wink:

The term isn't limited to just digital cameras now... :wink:

mtrails
11-17-2004, 01:11 AM
I was going back on some of my first photo's taken with my (new) digital camera, after recently moving to Billings, and I thought I'd share an instance that might make for a new dictionary term... How about, going out to see if a train is coming, and not knowing where it's coming from, you hear the horn from the west, though the train is coming from the east and the sound is reflecting off of nearby structures or land... You have your camera on, and you've got the perspective of your shot, and you're waiting for the train to round the curve, and then suddenly, the train comes around a curve BEHIND you and blows the horn at you, almost making you drop the camera and jump off of the track bed and down a 15-foot embankment! :shock: Whaddya call it?

cmherndon
11-17-2004, 02:36 AM
You have your camera on, and you've got the perspective of your shot, and you're waiting for the train to round the curve, and then suddenly, the train comes around a curve BEHIND you and blows the horn at you, almost making you drop the camera and jump off of the track bed and down a 15-foot embankment! icon_eek.gif Whaddya call it?

I call that a man in dire need of a radio :D