PDA

View Full Version : My one complaint about RP.net

Wade H. Massie
10-26-2004, 09:50 PM
There's only one thing that I truly don't like about this website, and it's not the screeners - I think they do a pretty good job. My gripe about RP.net is actually all the pop up ads that seem to be multiplying. I'm running the Yahoo toolbar with pop up blocker and also Spybot. The pop ups still get through and they seem to be more plentiful here than on any other website I visit.

Does anyone else have this persistent pop-up problem or is it just me?

-Wade

Guilford350
10-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I have very few pop-ups yet I only run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D, no toolbars. What type of pop-ups are you getting? The normal ones that open in a small window or the type that slide across the screen saying your the millionth viewer?

E.M. Bell
10-26-2004, 10:19 PM
I am running all that spy killer software, and have no real problem...one pop up a day is all i get, and for what it cost to keep this site going, I will happily let it pop up...

cmherndon
10-26-2004, 10:35 PM
My gripe about RP.net is actually all the pop up ads that seem to be multiplying. I'm running the Yahoo toolbar with pop up blocker and also Spybot...Does anyone else have this persistent pop-up problem or is it just me?

You may want to also download Spyware Blaster to use in conjunction with Spybot. I do that and never have a problem with adware or spyware. I've also downloaded the Google toolbar which blocks most pop ups. I usually only get a couple three on the site daily as well. That's no real problem since I'm not having to close 20 or so ads every time I visit the site.

Chris Starnes
10-26-2004, 11:59 PM
One of your problems is probably that Yahoo toolbar. Those are advertised to be pop-up blockers which, on the face they are, but most of them are spyware which supply more popups than they block. I would suggest getting rid of that program. Several of our computers at work have either the google or yahoo toolbar and I constantly have to run spyware removal tools on them.

Our ads are programmed to supply one pop-up per 24 hour "session." If you are getting a large number more than that I would almost bet you have spyware hidden on your computer that you are not aware of.

Chris

Ween
10-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Run Ad-Aware as well. With Norton AV, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and SpywareBlaster, I've been virus, spyware, malware, and mostly pop-up free. But you gotta make sure you keep them all updated or you're wasting your time...

Wade H. Massie
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I've downloaded Spyware Blaster and RP.net is running like a champ again! Now I really have NO complaints about this site!

Thanks,

-Wade :)

mtrails
10-28-2004, 02:23 AM
I have only been hit with one pop-up related to this site, and it's the "1,000,000 visitor". How many times a week can I be the 1,000,000 visitor? As much as I dislike pop-ups, I can live with the one, but it's still annoying.