PDA

View Full Version : oldest active commuter train??

bfong
10-28-2004, 11:23 PM
hi guys,
i was wondering if anybody happened to know what the oldest active communter train is. i really need to know, but i can't find that information anywhere.
thanks for the help,
bfong

Joe
10-30-2004, 03:39 AM
It would help if you would be a tad more specific...First, are you talking US or world? Are you looking for the oldest commuter train, or would you like the oldest locomotive or cars, because you can have new locomotives with old cars and vise versa. Or perhaps you would like the oldest commuter Railroad...It would be very difficult to find out what the oldest train out there is.

Silagi
10-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Man it is hard to believe those once modern bi-level commuter cars are now 54 yrs old! Time to check myself into the old folks home! I used to ride the old SP BiLevels in the late 70's. Back then I much prefered the older Harriman coaches that were still in service.

David Telesha
01-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Metro North Commuter Railroad (NY & CT) still uses some old F-7's that were built in the mid-1940's.

They are now F10's of-course having been rebuilt and modified outside and inside.

Still the oldest units still in commuter service and no real end in sight for now.

The Metro North and Connecticut Department of Transportation FL-9m's were originally built for the NEW HAVEN RAILROAD (as FL-9's), who purchased all 60 ever built, in 1957 and 1960. There are a few of them still in commuter service here, and a few working for shortlines (M&E comes to mind).

oltmannd
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you mean oldest active commuter rail "line"?

Does it have to be continuous service?

The South Jersey Light Rail line operates over the old Camden and Amboy RR right of way - which was one of the first in the US, but commuter svc ended in the 1960s and way ressurected as light rail in 2004.

If continuous svc in required, it would have to be one of the routes out of NY, or Phila - perhaps on the Reading.