PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Southern: This does not look promising

Joe the Photog
07-30-2009, 06:27 AM
It's on the front page --

[photoid=292235]

With the downturn in traffic and the three black GP38-2s, this looks especially bad for the vintage power -- an F, the Wacamaw Coast Line/N&W GP18, the cabless CN F unit and the ex-Southern GP30.

nikos1
07-30-2009, 05:26 PM
That photo itself should be a call to get preservationists to acquire some of those engines sooner rather than later.
Fun fact: CALA used to have three additional F units and three E units, they dont now.

BR549
08-02-2009, 01:44 AM
That would be an interesting lashup to see them come out of the shop and onto a train in that order.

The 943 lost a prime mover several years ago; and as evidenced, never was replaced. I'll waiger a large sum of money to the fact that we'll never see that unit run again on this railroad. The 6622 (cabless F unit) was having problems before their business dropped off. They believed the fuel was mixing with the lube oil, causing the unit to shut down numorous times which made it dead weight. The 9163 is, quite frankly, very cumbersome to run in the lead as this is a prodominantly "switching" type railroad. And with the downturn in business, they're running either 1 or 2 units on their trains. Plenty of Geeps to do the work now. As far as the 2613 is concerned, I couldn't tell you why they have that unit stashed back like that. I'm not aware of any problems that this unit was or is having. Nonetheless, it is still sad to see these units in this doomed disposition.

TrainFanNZ
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
how sad looking is that picture. If only those locomotives could talk, then we would truely understand what they really think about getting stashed on a line, rotting away.

Thanks for the info Joe

BR549
10-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Reported by the Carolina Rails Yahoo Group that the Carolina Southern turned over several coal cars while departing Mullins on Monday 10-19-09.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=11339439

Joe the Photog
10-21-2009, 05:13 AM
The best part is that Jason Pippin says he's not sure what caused the derailment. Here's a picture taken near where it must have happened. I'm actually guessing it happened somewhere in this picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethephotog/3716291275/in/set-72157618750314416/

BR549
10-24-2009, 04:11 AM
The derailment occured right in front of your shot, Joe, approximately a half mile away from where the photo was taken. The 55th thru the 66th cars came off immediately after passing over Park St. The soft roadbed (mud) is what caused the cars to turn over after they came off the rails.

I'm not here to bash, and I certainly don't intend to be rude ... but does Jason Pippin think that Ray Charles couldn't see these track conditions and not feel like a derailment was inevitable? Mr. Pippin made a similar statement when they turned over ANOTHER coal train in Gurley a couple of years ago. During an interview, he made the statement ... and I'm paraphrasing here ... "if you're gonna run a railroad, you're gonna have derailments". What he should have said was, "if you run a railroad like we run a railroad, you're gonna have derailments."

The bottom line is this: back in the days when they were making money hand over fist, hauling 60 to 80 cars a day out of Mullins, and then didn't invest any of that revenue back into the railroad, it has come back to pay them in full ... with interest.

I have no sympathy for either of the Pippin's, as they have reaped what they've sown. But I sure feel for the people who work for them whose livelihoods hang in the balance.

Joe the Photog
07-04-2010, 03:42 AM
There they go again...

http://www.whiteville.com/articles/2010/07/03/news/todays_photo/doc4c2e5a3c93074110413478.txt

Chase55671
07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
What a shame.. Looks like their old Southern geep will be scrapped now..

Chase

Frederick
07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
What a shame.. Looks like their old Southern geep will be scrapped now..

Chase

Why do you think it would be scrapped? It looks minimally damaged - there wasn't even a collision.

nikos1
07-06-2010, 04:35 AM
I think the worst the damage could be is some bent up steps and the pilot, nothing real major.

Chase55671
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
It seems anymore CALA just scraps their old engines for no apparent reason and if one now has damage (regardless if that damage is minimal), I fear they'll just decide to scrap it rather than fix it.

Sort of like a CSX B36-7 a few months ago.. The headlight burnt out and CSX sent it straight to the deadline. Most of it's brothers and sisters were already in the deadline at the time for other minimal reasons.

Chase

Joe the Photog
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
With business down and those rebuilt GP38s on line, I'm not sure they wouldn't scrap the GP30 like they did most of the F units. Then again, I believe the ex-WCL GP18 was chop nosed, then put on their dead line three years ago. Truth is, I'm pretty sure they have no clue what they are doing from one day to the next. They could scrap it, they could repaint it or they could let it rust to death while still using it.

troy12n
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Glad to see that bridge in Myrtle Beach is getting some good use after millions were spent repairing it...

BR549
07-07-2010, 02:45 AM
From what I was told, the 3 engines pulling this train are the only 3 engines that they have in service. The rest are either down, or deceased.

BR549
08-28-2010, 02:15 AM
From what I was told, the 3 engines pulling this train are the only 3 engines that they have in service. The rest are either down, or deceased.

I have been hearing rumors for a few weeks. But it was confirmed today from a reliable source that the 958, ex-NW GP18 chop nose still wearing prior owner, Mid-Atlantic Railroad paint, has been laid to rest on the deadline. May she sit on the deadline in peace!

cassfan3
08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
I have been hearing rumors for a few weeks. But it was confirmed today from a reliable source that the 958, ex-NW GP18 chop nose still wearing prior owner, Mid-Atlantic Railroad paint, has been laid to rest on the deadline. May she sit on the deadline in peace!

Man I should have gotten down there when the good power was still on the rails! Do you know what's operational still?

BR549
08-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Man I should have gotten down there when the good power was still on the rails! Do you know what's operational still?

I've heard that they only have 3 units out of their whole fleet that are operational. But I don't know which 3 they are.