PDA

View Full Version : Digital or Film?


ssw9662
11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Do you shoot digital, or do you stick with film?

Wade H. Massie
11-02-2004, 12:36 AM
I still shoot both formats. I use digital on cloudy days or when I'm photographing a location that I've already photographed on slides. My film usage has declined since I bought a Digital Rebel last November, but I do still shoot Fuji slides on nice sunny days.

-Wade[/b]

Guilford350
11-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Digital only.

Ken Carr
11-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Almost strictly digital with a Canon Rebel Digital, but have a Canon Rebel TI as a back up with film and still have two Canon AE-1's that are retired.

ranger 101
11-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have a lot of film pics. I do not own a digital yet because I haven't found one I've liked. If I do invest in one it will be an SLR because my primary film camera is an SLR. I also have a 120 medium format that I just started using. I'm interested to know if anyone else uses a medium format for shooting trains? If so do you like it and try to give me some tips on using it. Thanks and I look forward to hearing feedback on my photos as soon as get time to post some.
Tim :)

cmherndon
11-02-2004, 07:16 AM
I shoot digital only. With as many photos as I've taken in the past 2 years, the digital has pretty much paid for istelf since I'm no longer having to process film. I also like being able to shoot a test shot and not have to worry about wasting anything.

railfanzone
11-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Film only for me, and of that, 95% is slides, the other 5% is B&W prints. Probably won't be changing any time soon. Tried my brother-in-law's D-Rebel a couple times, and the shots were nice, but they still don't have the detail and colors that Provia 100F gives me. Plus there are some publications that I regularly submit to that will only accept slides. I do have a Canon Digital Elph that I use for shots of my kids, but only my Elan 7 joins me trackside...

-Tom

ddavies
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Digital for about 4 years now. Retired and can't aford film :D

S.C. Vermillion
11-02-2004, 11:01 PM
I mainly shoot digital, but do have a film SLR as backup.

C40dash8
11-07-2004, 11:00 PM
I took my Nikon FE SLR and my Kodak 6490 digital to Folkston last week. I still find the Nikon easier to shoot trains, but I liked the results from the digital better on the overcast day. Nearly all the pictures on film have a gray sky, no matter what color it really was. Very little of it was a "Kodachrome sky". By contrast, the digital did the sky much better. I'll post some of both when I get time. BTW, the film was Kodak Max 800 print film. I used to shoot slide film when it was less expensive to process, but I like having prints of everything.

BNSF_or_SOO
11-26-2004, 12:19 AM
I will shoot Kodachrome 64 or Provia 100F for as long as I live. When you shoot film, i the back of your mind, you think, Is this picture going to be worth the cost of the film. Film helps you set your limits. And I will always shoot with manual focus cameras too. They present me with a bigger challenge, and I love that.

Miketherailfan
11-26-2004, 02:46 AM
I use digital all-around. I use my Nikon E990 and E5400, Olympus E-20, and HP Photosmart 945. The only time I use film is in case of an extreme emergency.