PDA

View Full Version : New paint for TTI GEs

ShortlinesUSA
08-11-2009, 01:59 AM
After an enjoyable day photographing GEs that I saw delivered new to the Seaboard System (too bad I couldn't take a photograph to save my life back then) and even older veterans of the SCL on Friday, word has it that the GEs of the TTI in Paris, KY will soon see new paint. A new paint scheme has been designed and work is to begin soon. No one that I know has seen the concept paint job, but supposedly it has a gray along the shades of L&N but isn't a retro L&N scheme. Time will tell. Regardless, for those within range of this operation, all I can say is "Where else are you going to see a trio of U36Bs shoving a coal train that a quartet of B36-7s is pulling?" And if you like your coal haulers grungy, you might want to head that way now.

nikos1
08-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Phew, i was half thinking this would be a thread about Orange G&W Georgia Central U23B's. I would love to visit TTI one day, just no means to get that far right now unfortunately.

ShortlinesUSA
08-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Someone spotted a pair of B36-7s in CSX paint on the TTI train this week. I suspect these will wear the new paint before anything else. Also, it raises some questions as to how much longer the U36Bs will stay in service as more B36-7s come onto the roster.

ShortlinesUSA
08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
To update this with further info, it is a pair of CSX B40-8s that they are testing. They have not been purchased.

nikos1
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Are the B40-8s already that old that they are being sold to shortlines? And here i thought i had a good 10 more years to shoot them on class 1's.

ShortlinesUSA
09-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Believe it or not, in today's railroading scene, Dash 8s are already starting to get old. While they may seem pretty new, I was shooting new C40-8s at the end of my high school years and early college, and I am...ahem...solidly in my late 30s.

Also, TTI is a bit of an odd bird. It is wholly owned by a CSX subsidiary, so they have gotten "hand me down" CSX power for about the last 15 years. With a glut of power and CSX not necessarily needing as much horsepower for locals, it's possible they are testing out how these high horsepower GEs would work out. Or, there could be some available on the market at a very good price, and they're using some of their "own" as a test before buying something else.

Time will tell, but I would definitely say anyone who has been wanting to shoot some of the last operating U36Bs in the world may want to pay a visit to Kentucky sooner, rather than later.

ShortlinesUSA
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Looks like TTI has possibly settled on the handsome navy blue with red lettering scheme worn by B36-7 5815. Note in the linked photo by Don Kalkman a fresh paint job for B36-7 5827:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=320910&nseq=55

Until recently, 5815 was the only unit in the fleet to wear this scheme. Also, note they have pushed some of the B36-7s in CSX paint into service. Mr. Kalkman noted in his visit that there were no active U36Bs seen.

cassfan3
04-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Are the B40-8s already that old that they are being sold to shortlines? And here i thought i had a good 10 more years to shoot them on class 1's.

Seems like the old GE's don't age quite so gracefully as their EMD peers.

J. E. Landrum
04-16-2010, 03:41 AM
The B40-8's were temporarily leased to TTI during a traffic surge and have since been returned to CSX. $500 a day for them too! Out of the right pocket, into the left. (TTI is owned by CSX)

ShortlinesUSA
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Through some offlist work with Mr. Landrum, it appears the U36B era is over. TTI has recently picked up some more retired B36-7s from CSX, and that would explain the pair still in CSX paint in Mr. Kalkman's photograph. For those tracking the roster or interested in where an old CSX favorite wound up, TTI has picked up CSXT 5808, 5817, 5819, 5884, and 5911.

While it is sad to see the U36Bs sidelined, as these were the last operating examples of this GE model in revenue freight service anywhere, it is nice that the TTI will continue to be a four axle GE roster.

Back to the original subject of the thread, while 5827 did receive the newer blue and red scheme, 5911 should debut in the next week or two wearing a completely new paint scheme.

Joe the Photog
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I* still want to see this railroad sometime.

Chase55671
04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Speaking of the TTI, how often do they run? I'm assuming a few days a week, similar to the operations of RJ Corman here in WV?

Chase

ShortlinesUSA
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Daily, weekends included if nothing has changed. You can expect them to come out of the shop at Paris right around 2pm. There is a nice city park right next to the yard with a view of the shop. Once you see two groups of GEs start chasing each other out of the service tracks, show's on about 45 minutes later.

ShortlinesUSA
05-10-2010, 02:29 PM
A look at the long awaited new paint for the TTI, courtesy of Mr. Landrum!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=323612&nseq=184

Also in other news that I have seen, the U36Bs are indeed parked. Two U28Bs remain active, one at the dumper in Maysville and one used for work train service.

ShortlinesUSA
06-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Rumors of the U36Bs demise seem to be greatly exaggerated, to mock an old quote. One was noted 4th in consist on the TTI over the weekend, so they are apparently still hanging on. However, most consists I have seen and heard of in recent times are primarily B36-7s.