PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Regional & Shortline

TrainFanNZ
08-12-2009, 08:30 AM
As the Title says.

What is your favourite Regional RR and Shortline RR?

My favourite Regional - Utah Railway Company
My favourite Shortline - St. Maries River Railroad

I just love the fact that the RR (StMRRR) operates over former MILW track, their rolling stock is all former MILW (apart from the caboose's) and their main Customer and Tonnage is Logs. You don't see much Log trains in North America, where as down here in New Zealand, it is a common site along the East Coast & Northland regions.

as for the Utah Rail Co., well, what else can you say about a Regional RR operating up & over Soldier Summit apart from "brilliant"!.

Joey Bowman
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Shortline: Caldwell County Railroad in the foothills of NC.

Dont really know much or know of any about regional railroads.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Shortline:
favorite - Black River & Western
co-favorite - Winchester & Western

Of course, I need to go with two local shortlines. I fell in love with the BR&W after accidentally running into the freight at the interchange while railfanning NS back in 2006. Some three years and more than a dozen days spent chasing, I still can't wait to get out there this Friday!!! I awarded the W&W a co-favorite because they are borrowing a BR&W locomotive which happens to be my favorite diesel (a may very well be my favorite locomotive of any kind) but also because they are the friendliest, most down-to-earth guys in the world. From management to shop crew, they are all great guys and make a day trackside very productive and enjoyable.

Regional - Buffalo & Pittsburgh

I wish I could give a railroad like the Susquehanna the honors of being my favorite. Their road freight into and out of NJ runs in the late, late afternoon and early, early morning (in darkness most of the year) and have gone from 6 days a week to as needed in the past year. So, I will have to say my favorite is the B&P. Since I am a huge SD45 fan, being able to catch 5 in a consist in a not-so-bad-looking scheme is definitely cool and deserving of more than one trip.

ShortlinesUSA
08-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Shortline-- Aberdeen & Rockfish in east central North Carolina. Original shortline (that is, has never been part of a class 1 system and spun off) owned by the same family for over 100 years, and 3 of 4 locomotives on the roster were bought new from EMD. They all still wear the same paint scheme as delivered. Like a trip back in time.

Regional-- toss up. I have always held the Montana Rail Link in great regard, but a recent visit to the Indiana Rail Road has me really digging that operation the more I learn about it. Once you see a pair of those red SD9043MACs pulling a coal train, it's hard not to like what is going on there!

TrainFanNZ
08-13-2009, 07:35 AM
I have to agree with you Mike on the Indiana RR. Those SD9043MACs sure look pretty in that Red & White paint. I also love their GP30s as well, in a slightly different paint. MRL is a nice Regional, but I wished they kept to the older EMD power. Don't get me wrong, the SD70MACs & SD70ACe's they have are nice, but I like older EMD power on that RR.

Oops I completely forgot about this Regional RR, shame on me!

My Co-Favourite Regional RR is the Wheeling & Lake Erie.

Congrats to Larry Parsons for keeping their Roster of older Rio Grande power in 'Tip-Top' shape, they still look & sound great over in the East, and some of them are 30yrs + older. Having Mid-Train and Rear-End Tunnel Motor Helpers in todays 'day & age' is something of a 'Dream', but it is actually a reality on the W&LE. I hope it lives on for quite some time as well.

jnevis
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I'd have to go with Central California Traction. I just really started looking into short/regional lines recently and looked for lines near where I'm from and worked areas I know. CCT is over 100yrs old, starting as the local trolley through Stockton and becoming the supporting railroad for the Port of Stockton. Cal Northern is another relatively local short, more where the wife is from, but they've become part of the Rail America group so they've lost some of the independant operator feel.

I have always liked the look of MRLs units for the regionals. Plus the countryside there is great.

Nahant
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Short Line: Vandalia Railroad, Vandalia, IL. A very small short line (1 engine) located in south central Illinois. The employees their are very friendly to railfans.

Regional: Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern/Dakota, Minnesota, and Eastern. A classy paint scheme to go along with their classy engines (in my option). I mean, where else can you see 4 or 5 40-2s in blue paint pulling a freight?

rathman11
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Short Line: I would have to say Twin Cities and Western and Minnesota Commercial (I love the Alcos!) are tied as my favorites.

Regional: I would have to agree with Nahant and say the IC&E/DM&E. I love the paint scheme and SD40-2's are some of my all time favorite locomotives! And, maybe growing up with the DM&E line running in my backyard might have something to do with my liking of the line.

TAMR159
08-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Shortline: Rochester & Southern
Regional: Buffalo & Pittsburgh

I'm a G&W kind of guy, despite living in the land of ALCOs...

nikos1
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
The Hartwell - Great Walton group is definitely my favorite shortline, the power is all older EMD's, many still painted in fallen flag schemes. About everyone i have met has been friendly and i have had several cabrides. A very small and accessible operation, the owner of the lines still comes out to run the trains quite frequently.

Regionals: we dont really have those in Georgia, i guess the closest thing would be the Georgia Central. Thats one of the states shortlines thats just out of reach for me, i have only had a chance to shoot them on rare occasions, i really need to make a proper trip to chase those U-Boats. I guess if we count parent companys as regionals, Respondek is one of my favorites, ive only shot their Georgia operation but they seem to run a good operation, and the crews here were very friendly.

MNJRR
08-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Shortline: Middletown & New Jersey railroad
This shortline runs around middletown, NY and the line is just coming back to life they own 3 engines, 2 GE 44 ton engines and their current operating engine is ex-amtrak GP9 number 773

Regional: Norfolk Southern
I love the simple NS paint scheme and i love going to altoona/cresson Pennsylvania to watch the trains haul the mountain. CSX is much much closer to me but the track is only single and traffic is low in this economy, but i still like CSX as its close

Joe the Photog
09-18-2009, 04:02 AM
It would be hard to convince anyone who has seen my RP database that my favorite shortline isn't the Lancaster and Chester. It's my hometown railroad and at different points in my life, I've either lived near the L&C or either my grandmother did. When I got to know it in the early 80s, they had a roster consisting of two EMD SW900s bought new in 1965, although I didn't know all of that then. A third SW900 came in 1984.

By the late 90s, they were running what I call a "Union Railroad South" in that five, six or seven end cabs would often be lashed together. (It was rare to catch them running in true UR style though, end cabs first.)

[photoid=101784]

Now most of the end cabs are gone replaced by GP38-2s and I've moved away again, albeit still close. It's still an interesting line to chronicle. Not sure what my favorite shortline would be though. It might be, like Nikos, the Hartwell. Or maybe the Pickens. I'd have to think about that.

Paolo Roffo
09-21-2009, 03:57 AM
I never would have figured the B&P would be this popular, but I'm throwing in my vote for them too. With their main line just an hour or so from Happy Valley, it was a nice diversion on a weekend or even after class when I could get away. Best of all - its not NS. Friendly employees (except for one guy), nice scenery, and those SD45s all added points to the B&P tally, but I could have done without those stupid SD90MACs. Apparently the B&P could have done without them as well...

Favorite shortline - tie between the Nittany & Bald Eagle, and the Everett. I used to go shoot the Everett in the morning, and still made it back to Altoona in time for class. Later on, I'd get the NBER after class and on their rare weekend runs. Certain people at both railroads were an integral part of the experience for me, especially the Everett.

NSFan14
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I would have to say my favorite Regional/Shortline would have to be RJ Corman.

Reason being is because of how unique the RR is and what they have.

[photoid=298062]

lock4244
10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Shortline - WNYP. Reason - ALCO & MLW power.

Regional - WC (yes, RIP). Reason - GP30's, SD45's, SDL39's, it was successful and had a classy image.

If I had to pick a regional that still exists, I'd have to go with IAIS... not for the ES44's, but that classy paint scheme they dress their power in (and they had a few ALCO/MLW's).

16marvigj
10-30-2009, 06:44 PM
short Lines- the Twin Cities And Western Railroad Or the Minnesota Prarie Line

For my favorite regional I would have to say Minnesota Dakota And Eastern. Love The Paint Schemes.

espeekiwi
11-15-2009, 05:53 AM
kyle RR, if not for the fact you can still find the alot of SP's eqipment there.

Londoner
03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
My favourite shortline has to be the Frankfort & Cincinnati ~ that served many bourbon distilleries in Kentucky.

Inspired by a post from a former engineer on another forum, I am now embarking on making a small model of Buffalo Springs Distillery, that was served by the Frankfort & Cincinnati.

Reporting marks FCIN.

Ken

cassfan3
03-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, they'll never win any awards for attractive power with a roster full of bandits, and they haven't been around for a long time, but since I started living beside them I'd have to say the Carolina Coastal. They're really working hard to take a lot of junk power and a neglected old mainline and drum up business. They also have plenty of nice down East rural running, and the crews are friendly. Plus, bandits or no, it seems they're trying start a 1950-1975 EMD collection with SD9 & GP7,9,10,16,30,35,40 so far. I'm waiting on an F!

Joe the Photog
03-31-2010, 04:06 AM
That's awesome. All those GPs and not a 38 anywhere?!

cassfan3
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
That's awesome. All those GPs and not a 38 anywhere?!

Weird isn't it? I'm waiting on that next.

BR549
03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Weird isn't it? I'm waiting on that next.

I also vote for the Carolina Coastal Railway as my favorite shortline. They have raised dead business to life, increased existing businesses, and are bringing new business to the railroad. They're projecting to be knocking down somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 cars per year by this years end. That's pretty impressive since that number was around 4,000 cars per year when they took over back in 2007. That fact mixed in with their buffet line of GP power makes them very interesting.

Give them a look: http://www.rail-videos.net/showvideos.php?railroad=Carolina Coastal Railway

BTW, they have another GP30 on the way.