PDA

View Full Version : Locomotive rental/operating

hemidave
08-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I have enjoyed operating locomotives at the Portola Museum and the Florida Gulf Coast Museum and plan on going to the Northern Nevada facility now that I am retired. Does anyone know of any other place to rent/operate locos? Thanks

KevinM
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I assume that when you say "Northern Nevada Facility", you mean the Nevada Northern Railway Museum. They do indeed have programs that allow both steam and diesel "rentals".

Other places that I know of include the Valley Railroad in Connecticut, which has its "Your Hand on the Throttle" program in both April and November. If you'd like to try one of the little Maine 2-Footers, the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum has a "Guest Engineer" program that runs on several days each summer. Both the Connecticut and Maine programs have limited availability and typically require advanced reservations.

ShortlinesUSA
08-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Nevada State Railway Museum in Boulder, NV (just south of Las Vegas) offers its "Engineer for an Hour" program. Their usual locomotive for this program is GP30 844 in UP colors, so if you're a GP30 fan like myself, this might be a good one to visit. More info at the link below:

http://www.nevadasouthern.com/NSR2009/Train_Ride_Info.html

Nahant
08-14-2009, 03:21 AM
The Pacific Southwest Railway Museum in Campo, CA offers a run the locomotive option of either 1/2 or 1 hour.

http://sdrm.org/events/rentals/loco/

hemidave
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The Ct. and Me. museums are close to me, so they will be easy to reach, and a Las Vegas trip hitting both the northern and southern Nevada museums will work, with a possible quick jaunt to southern Ca.

Joey Bowman
08-18-2009, 12:41 AM
While were on this subject, any of these railroads offer all day opportunities for running a locomotive. If I am going to spend more than a $100 to do it I would rather spend a lot and get to do it for a long time instead of an hour.