PDA

View Full Version : People of NS

mtrails
11-03-2004, 09:50 PM
I recently read the forum about the TV commercials for Norfolk Southern, and it reminded me of a very welcomed introduction of NS. I live in Billings, MT and see an NS come through here every now and then, and was unfamiliar with the railroad until I moved here. It was always "cool" to see an NS loco, and one day, my friend and I were railfanning one Saturday, and chased a train lead by two NS locos to the entry of Laurel yard. We knew they would have to stop and wait, and I saw a great photo opportunity. As I approached the loco, then Engineer popped out and asked if I was taking pictures. I replied "yes", and he went back in and let me shoot. He comes down from the loco and starts up a conversation. I wave my buddy over to join. After a few minutes of Q&A and some interesting voluntary info by the Engineer, he asks us if we've ever been up on one. I was on an SD45 when I was around 12, and that was it. My friend and I look at each other and shake our heads (no), so he invites us up to check it out! We were impressed with the friendliness of this guy, and it made an impact on us about that railroad. I doubt all NS engineer's are as friendly and enthusiastic, but what do they say about "first impressions"?

Chris Starnes
11-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Just as information, if you were in Montana, even if it was a NS engine....chances are it was a BNSF crew. NS's actual railroad doesn't run in MT (yet :wink: ). So the kudos go to the BNSF crew even though they were on a run-through (foreign power) locomotive.