PDA

View Full Version : Overcast shots

mtrails
11-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Hello everyone, I seem to have too many options on my camera for specific lighting, distance, motion etc! Though I know basic camera tuning for light and content realative to distance, I still find myself cussing when a shot turns out poor when I thought I had my ducks in a row. Take a look at the picture (link). It was an overcast day, and had the camera set at ISO 100, F4.8, speed @ 1000, and no zoom. Some of you might remember from another post, that I have a Gateway DC-T50 digital camera. I am still new to the camera and don't completely understand apeture priority and shutter speed priority, so I generally use the camera on manual mode where I can use it like a standard 35mm. When I saw the overexposed photo, my first thought was that the ISO should have been set at 200. Am I on the right track here, or can someone suggest a better camera configuration for this lighting? It really lacks color.

http://www.geocities.com/mmetalhhead/emd_9047.jpg

rpalmer
11-09-2004, 04:26 AM
I don't think the photo is as bad as you think it is. I doubt that it would be accepted here, but the exposure isn't that bad. In this image, it looks like the light meter set the exposure based on the dark water and dark bridge, washing out the sky. On really dark days, I try to do overhead shots with little or no sky in the photo.
Do you preview a shot beore the train comes ? In a situation like this, I would have shot at least 8 or 10 different images before the train showed up - changing the camera settings on each one and looking at the result until I found a combination that looked good. You might also want to play around with the white balance. If you have a setting for cloudy conditions, it will make the photo look much different.

mtrails
11-09-2004, 02:49 PM
You know, I actualy do take about 4 or 5 shots before the train comes, using different settings. I find that sometimes when a preview picture looks good, it changes when the train is in view, due to the loco colors/reflection of color, or the amount of light that is increased/decreased by the train being in view.

I forgot that even though it's a digital camera, that ISO settings are available, and that is one area I hadn't tested with. I also do have white balance settings, and one specifically for cloudy conditions. Thanks for reminding me!

E.M. Bell
11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
thats one of the great things about digital, frame it up like you want it, pop a few test shots, check out the all knowing historygram, and make changes as needed before the subject arrives!! Some cameras also have a bracket setting, that will let you fire off three shots, and the exposuer will be slighty different for each, tripling your chances.