PDA

View Full Version : St. Maries River RR log trains no more

ShortlinesUSA
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Just read that the famed log trains, one of the last remaining such in the nation, is no more-- St. Maries River RR in Idaho has ceased hauling logs between Clarkia and the Potlach mill in St. Maries as of the end of August. This was among the things high on my photography wish list, looks like it won't happen now. :sad:

chuckman
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Really sad! There was a huge article about this in the Locomotive 2008 issue from Trains magazine. It is still available. What will happen to the line now?

ShortlinesUSA
09-11-2009, 01:38 PM
They will still transport finished product from the Potlach mill at St. Maries to the UP interchange at Plummer, ID. The line to Clarkia will apparently be taken out of service after some stored cars at Clarkia are removed, and after that-- likely abandoned.

Cameraman
09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Mike,

So I won't have to break out the map: is the section of track involved the one that crosses the long ex-MLW trestle over the lake? Or will that section still see service?

CM

(Mike if you see this check my post on the Class 1 page regarding Norfolk.)

ShortlinesUSA
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Fortunately, the long wood trestle shot is on the portion that will remain active, for a bit of good news in all of this.

TrainFanNZ
09-14-2009, 07:17 AM
This is perhaps my most favorite RR in North America, cause they Freight Logs. I don't see much Unit Log Trains in North America, the only time I see logs is like 3-5 Cars on a manifest or local. So for this RR to loose freight is actually quite sad for me. I'm a huge fan of Unit/Local Trains that you don't see everyday (Logs, Woodchips, etc).
In New Zealand, Log Trains are one of our TOP Priority trains, cause the logs either go to the Pulp/Paper Mills and/or shipped overseas.

Best of luck to the StMR RR in the future.