PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Your Photos

SD70MAC
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi guys,
I shoot prints with my Canon Rebel Ti but recently switched to Slides. When i scan my photos online with my Lexmark X5150 scanner my prints turn out extremely grainy and a yellow tint to them. Im scanning them at a 300 DPI setting. Alot of my photos have been rejected because of this. But if you look at the original print there very clear.Like this one http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=83714. Im surprised RP took it. The original shot is perfect and looks nothing like it. Anyone know what I can maybe change on my scanner to prevent this? Thanks for any help. :twisted:

railfanzone
11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Ryan-

Scan the slides at the highest resolution your scanner will do, then reduce down to the RP.net size. Currently I'm scanning all of mine at 4000 dpi (max optical for my scanner - Nikon CoolScan V), and bringing them down to 300 for printing & posting.

Not sure on the yellow cast. One suggestion, instead of using the Lexmark (flatbed, right?), get an inexpensive slide scanner. I might have one for sale...contact me off list if you're interested...otherwise, a low-end new one would go for only $150 or so. The slide adapter on your scanner (depending on what it uses for a light source) may be causing the yellow cast on your shots, or even the scan driver may be getting confused with the transparency...

-Tom

SD70MAC
11-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Tom,
I should have specified more clearly. Im scanning prints on my flatbed. No slides yet. I have 8 more pictures left on my first roll of slide film. Sorry about that. But I am interested in the slide scanner for when i do get these slides developed. I will contact you off list. Thanks,

Chris Starnes
11-16-2004, 09:44 PM
To add to what Tom said.....In my experience scanning slides, a cheap "true" slide scanner will do better on slides than a high-dollar flatbed scanner with an adapter. Just my experience, however...

CTS

SP3722
11-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Are your prints Matte or Gloss? I have noticed that gloss prints will always be sharper than matte prints.

SD70MAC
11-18-2004, 11:27 PM
There Gloss. Gloss is the smooth ones correct?