PDA

View Full Version : Cog Steam Engine on E-bay...

Mgoldman
10-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Warning - if you are Kevin, or any other fan of the Cog Railroad - TURNBACK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Working-Cog-Railway-Steam-Locomotive_W0QQitemZ110442499633QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b6e2ce31&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Why stop with Bio-diesel? How about light rail to the top?
Or better yet, a bike trail to the top?
Or best, a movie showing what it was like getting to the top!
Or, maybe just photos viewed through a View-master!

Fortunately, the railroad has a few spares to display and hopefully continue to run. Kevin - just how many are there including the one on E-bay?

/Mitch

KevinM
10-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Oh, I was afraid of this. I'm not terribly surprised because a friend tipped me off that this might happen.

This is indeed #3, "Agiocochook", built by the Manchester Locomotive Works in 1883. She was originally built for use on the Green Mountain Cog Railway on Mt. Desert Island in Maine and later acquired by the Mt. Washington line. Although she's been reboilered and shopped many times, she's still a piece of history and deserves a better fate than to end up on eBay.

As the story goes, she failed the boiler inspection at the beginning of this year and has not been steamed since 2008. Someone who knows indicated to me that the Smithsonian was interested, as was the Boston Museum of Science. Unfortunately, neither one was willing to dish out any greenbacks. So, there she sits on eBay. My guess is that some of the others will see the same fate soon.

Shame on the ownership up there. The Mt. Washington operation is definitely going "green"......the kind of "green" that goes ka-ching! I hope no one bids on this locomotive.

(Mitch, there were 7 steamers until a couple of years ago. #8 has been retired and stripped. The hulk is out back of the shop. #3 is obviously inoperable and on eBay. That leaves 5 locos left. #4 currently is a lash-up consisting of the boiler from #4 and the cab and tender off the retired 8. It has been run this year and I have pix of it. #10 has been the hot spare lately, but I have not seen it on the mountain. #6 has been the yard goat and apparently has relatively new running gear. #s 2 and 9 have been the workhorses as both have feedwater heaters and burn less coal than the others. Rumor is that the survivors...for now....will be 2, 6 and 9. Within a couple of years, I'd be surprised if there was any steam up there. :()

mSummers
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Thats awful! What's next... a trip to the junk yard when it doesn't sell?

I'm so glad that I got to ride back in 2006 when it was still and all steam operation. I was planning on taking a trip up there next year to ride again, but after this I won't give them any more of my money. I might still go to take pictures, but I definitely won't ride again.