PDA

View Full Version : Panther Valley RR

Cameraman
10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I was looking at a recently acquired track chart of NS in eastern PA. I see a connection listed to the Panther Valley RR at Packerton Jct. I did a quick search of a few web sites and came up empty.

Is this a paper road, or a road gobbled up by R&N? Is anything lettered for the line. I have spent so little time east of Reading I want to know a little more.

EMTRailfan
10-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I didn't find much either except this:
http://www.rrb.gov/pdf/bcd/bcd93-18.pdf
My Pgh Division ETT stops at Harrisburg. Where is the connection located?

Cameraman
10-17-2009, 03:39 PM
From Allentown head what I guess is north through Ham, Caty and Lehighton and the next interlocking is Packerton Jct. where the tack diverges and ends with a note to Panther Valley.

ShortlinesUSA
10-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Panther Valley sold out to the C&S Railroad Corp., symbol CSKR. C&S was generally assumed to be "Carbon & Schuylkill" but the railroad was not known as that to the best of my knowledge. They continued to operate the railroad until just a few years ago, when they were replaced by the Reading & Northern as the operator of the line. Operations are 2-3 times a week, as needed last I have heard of this section. The line stretches 18 miles from Packerton Jct. (near Jim Thorpe, PA) to Hauck, PA.

NOTE: On researching this a bit further, and there is very little info to be found, it appears that the Reading & Northern held trackage rights over the C&S Railroad since the early 90s, likely in order to link their former Lehigh Valley and Reading segments. They did not have rights to serve customers.