PDA

View Full Version : Why did Trona Railway sale their nice units..

jdirelan87
10-21-2009, 05:57 AM
...only to replace them with crappy UP/SP patch jobs a year or so later?

I've asked a ton of people about this over the years and have never got an answer. My interest in the topic was recently rekindled when I found myself in Mojave a few weeks ago with the opportunity to go chase these guys. As much as I love shortlines, I just couldn't get excited about the crap they have now. Had I been a decade earlier, I would have already taken a week of leave to chase those great looking red and sliver units around the desert.

Bryan Jones
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM

I've asked a ton of people about this over the years and have never got an answer. My interest in the topic was recently rekindled when I found myself in Mojave a few weeks ago with the opportunity to go chase these guys. As much as I love shortlines, I just couldn't get excited about the crap they have now. Had I been a decade earlier, I would have already taken a week of leave to chase those great looking red and sliver units around the desert.

Trona did not sell the 6 SD40-2 rebuilds (former SD45-2's). When the long term lease expired on the locos the railroad chose not to purchase the units due to the high price. It was cheaper to purchase the mixed lot of former SP and UP SD40R, SD40-2 and SD40T-2's not to mention own them outright rather than have a lease on them. Perhaps at some point they will paint the current units into the attractive red and silver that the SD40-2 rebuilds wore.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

ShortlinesUSA
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
And previous reports from the Trona say the money just isn't there for paint jobs right now, so expect them to look that way for some time to come. They actually did stencil "TRC" on a couple of them within the past several months, so they're getting a little bit of "local identity" at least. Not much, but beats looking like just another UP consist...

GLC 392
11-12-2009, 06:41 AM
How many engines does the Trona have now, and whats there main business? i dont know much about the trona.

lock4244
11-13-2009, 03:00 AM
How many engines does the Trona have now, and whats there main business? i dont know much about the trona.

They haul Trona (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona) and not much (if anything) else.

ShortlinesUSA
11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
The roster is now 3 ex UP/former SP SD40-2Ts, 3 ex UP SD40-2s, and two ex SP SD40Rs. All retain their former UP and SP paint schemes, and have been renumbered 2001-2008. Some have had "TRC" stenciled on the long hood.

Trona runs from Trona, CA to a connection with UP at Searles, CA. This is pretty much in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

GLC 392
11-13-2009, 07:34 PM
thanks guys for the info.

BarrySr
11-13-2009, 08:46 PM

So the WGRF roster shooters would leave them alone.

Should have been there back in the Baldwin days....

ShortlinesUSA
11-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Maybe the WGRF'ers should cough up the money for some paint... ;-P