PDA

View Full Version : Winchester and Western Hagerstown line

Cameraman
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Fill in one bit of history for me: What year and from which carrier (NS or CR) did WW buy its Winchester to Hagerstown line from?

CM

ShortlinesUSA
11-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Conrail in 1986. This is why the Hagerstown train is called "86."

ssw9662
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone know the time of day and days of operation for the 86 job? I just was down in Hagerstown yesterday and I'd like to make a return trip sometime when the WW is running. I've read conflicting reports as to their frequency of operation, so any help there would be appreciated.

ShortlinesUSA
11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
86 is typically called M-F at 0700 out of Inwood, WV (Darkesville on the map, behind the old Corning plant off of US 11). This tends to be the most reliable of the W&W trains. The Sandman is running more now, but is one of those jobs that can be knocked off on a day-to-day basis if the traffic isn't there to run.

Now, the time at which you could find 86 in Hagerstown can certainly vary. It can be mid morning (say 10-ish) to midday before they make it up there, depending on how much switching they had to do to put their train together, and there are a couple of industries along the way they may stop to switch.