PDA

View Full Version : Great Smoky Mountains Railway For Sale?

Joe the Photog
11-26-2009, 04:30 PM
http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28502

Possibly.

nikos1
11-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Good, the new owner let the line go to crap anyways and now two operable steamers will likely end up being scrapped.

troy12n
11-26-2009, 06:50 PM
The new owner got in a pissing contest with the city of Dillsboro, and cut the train back to a Bryson City to Andrews train, the Bryson City to Dillsboro was the most scenic section of track, so that really sucked from a fan's standpoint.

The town of Dillsboro has been hurt because of this too.

ShortlinesUSA
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Good luck finding a buyer on those terms in this economy. Somehow, I suspect most tourist operations have profit margins in the single digits (if at all), so by the conditions, anything made is likely going to the current operator even after the sale.

SCwillis
12-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Not exactly. Alan Harper will never sell controlling interest in any of his properties. The offer is for 49% of the operation. In other words, you get to finance the line and have only minimal say in how the operation is conducted. To force your issues, it takes court action as a minority shareholder. Good setup to stay away from. The same offer was made for the Texas State RR, with Harper (Durango & Silverton NG) as the operator. They're only looking for cash.

Joey Bowman
12-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Good luck finding a buyer on those terms in this economy. Somehow, I suspect most tourist operations have profit margins in the single digits (if at all), so by the conditions, anything made is likely going to the current operator even after the sale.

From what I understand while talking to various employees during a couple cab rides I did with the GSMR this spring, they make quite a bit of money but the current company takes the GSMR profits to fund the narrow gauge in CO.