PDA

View Full Version : Livonia, Avon and Lakeville 418 dymamic breaks?

chuckman
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone know if the 418 has dynamic brakes currently? I'm trying to model it and I can't until I figure it out! Also, sorry for the misspelling on the thread title!

trainboysd40
12-30-2009, 05:03 AM
There is no way it has dynamic breaks.
Dynamic brakes, however...

chuckman
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
There is no way it has dynamic breaks.
Dynamic brakes, however...Thanks for pointing that out! I previewed it and I thought something didn't look quite right!

lock4244
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Try asking on this LAL family list: http://railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=113

ShortlinesUSA
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
There is a nice shot of it leading a train in the January Railpace. Unfortunately, it's a bit nosy and you can't see the area behind the cab. Let me see if I can try another route-- digging up history and finding a shot of it in a former life.

ShortlinesUSA
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Here is a link to a broad view. I honestly don't know how to tell whether an Alco has dynamics or not, but the only grid I see that appears extra is below the smokestack on the long hood. I -think- GE/Alco tended to put the dynamic brake cooling grid right behind the cab, as a rule, but I just can't say with certainty. The one behind the cab doesn't look like the typical dynamic grid, but then again, I can't think of a whole lot of things that would be there requiring a cooling vent, either.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1461931

Hope this helps in some fashion, and if anyone can provide more info on spotting features here, please feel free to share.

chuckman
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
There is a nice shot of it leading a train in the January Railpace. Unfortunately, it's a bit nosy and you can't see the area behind the cab. Let me see if I can try another route-- digging up history and finding a shot of it in a former life.He is a good friend of mine. I asked him and he didn't know. I did find out that it does not though. Neither does 425 or 420. BH 422 does.