PDA

View Full Version : CLNA makes several expansions in NC

cassfan3
01-31-2010, 01:34 AM
As of Monday, 02.01.2010, the Carolina Coastal (current operator of the old NS from Raleigh to Plymouth) will take over operations for the port railroad at Morehead City, NC. This trackage is owned by the state port but previously operated as the Morehead & South Fork. CLNA has transfered GP10 486 & GP7 106 (in Pennsy paint) down there. The bridge over the Newport River on this line that was struck by a barge last July was returned to service in November.

The CLNA has signed on as a 6 month interim operator of the 4 refurbished miles of former Piedmont & Northern trackage that the NCDOT now owns, but no equipment has been sent so far.

The CLNA has send AC&W painted GP16 1721 to Whitney, NC to use for a car storage operation on the Whitney to Bayden line off the Winston Salem Southbound.

Operations continue out of Wilson with a GP40, GP10, and SD-M and out of Plymouth with a GP30. A GP35 and GP9M are on the property somewhere.

Cameraman
02-01-2010, 03:21 AM
What is the history of the GP30? NS or CSX? It is not the old Carolina Southern one is it?

cassfan3
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
see caption for details

[photoid=312063]

ShortlinesUSA
02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Nick,

Appreciate the updates on the CLNA. Feel free to post any action or changes you see any time. I try to visit them annually when my family and I visit the Outer Banks every fall. Here's a shot of the 486 coming through Washington Park shortly after they took over operations to Plymouth.

I'm a big fan of GP30s, so hoping that power setup continues.

cassfan3
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Mike,

As of last week, the CLNA is occasionally running to Raleigh (about once a week). They took about 100 cars up there yesterday. The GP35 and exCN GP9 are out and about now too, so any combination of SD9/GP9/10/35/40 may be running out of Wilson. I'll try to get shots when able, but at least living trackside to the CLNA allows me the pleasure of listening to some great old power if they run in the evenings.

ShortlinesUSA
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Nothing wrong with any of that power from a fan perspective. Sounds like a re-energized year to make a trip over. Thanks for the update.

BR549
02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Mike,

As of last week, the CLNA is occasionally running to Raleigh (about once a week). They took about 100 cars up there yesterday. The GP35 and exCN GP9 are out and about now too, so any combination of SD9/GP9/10/35/40 may be running out of Wilson. I'll try to get shots when able, but at least living trackside to the CLNA allows me the pleasure of listening to some great old power if they run in the evenings.

The reason for the exceptionally large train is some new business that they have captured.

CSX used to host unit molten sulfur trains to and from PCS Phosphate in Lee Creek (K896/K895). However, Norfolk Southern has recently taken the sulfur business back from CSX. When CSX had the business, they would deliver the loaded train all at one time. The empties would come out usually in two cuts. The first cut was stored at Kingsboro siding right outside of Rocky Mount until the second cut was unloaded. Then the whole train was reassembled and sent back. The process will be somewhat the same with NS. However, as the train is unloaded, the empties will be given to CLNA at Chocowinity. The CLNA will take the empties to Wilson and store them until all of the train is empty. Once the whole train is empty, CLNA will take the entire train back to the NS at Raleigh, where the CLNA power will come off and be replaced with NS power. Then the train will head back to be loaded. Word is that there should be a sulfur train to run every two to three weeks.

The first empty sulfur train was taken out this past Tuesday. It was the largest train operated over the CLNA since the takeover of the NS line, and had the largest locomotive consist in the history of the CLNA (815 (SD9), 8311 (GP10), 6421 (ex-CN GP9R) and 95 (GP40)). Expect to see some motley lashups if you ever get the chance to catch this movement.

Cameraman
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks a bunch for that info on the sulfur train.

Do you know (or can yo find out) what route this traffic moves via on NS?

Is it Asheville, or via Altavista, Roanoke and west?

I have not heard of it going to Hagerstown and Harrisburg.

Would you have an NS symbol?

CM

BR549
03-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks a bunch for that info on the sulfur train.

Do you know (or can yo find out) what route this traffic moves via on NS?

Is it Asheville, or via Altavista, Roanoke and west?

I have not heard of it going to Hagerstown and Harrisburg.

Would you have an NS symbol?

CM

The last loaded train came down the Virginian through Roanoke to Greensboro and points East as a 63N. I've only heard of one empty train so far and I think it was a 67N.

ShortlinesUSA
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
There is a 63N at Linwood, NC as of noon on 3/12/10. Sounds like CLNA should have some tanks to play with next week. Heads up, Nick and BR!

pjc1979
03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Over the past several months, thanks to pictures provided by photographers (thanks especially to Nick McLean) on here, I've discovered the Carolina Coastal Railway. Do any of you guys know much about the operations/times of operations of the CLNA in the Wilson area? I'm trying to gather information as I'm basing a model railroad on this area. Thank you for any information you can provide. Between Bing Maps, Google Maps and mlrail.com I've located most if not all the industries that CLNA switches.

lost bouy
03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Does the Sulfur train take the ECBU/Raleigh District via Cary to Greensboro or the gulf line via Fuquay?

I think you'll enjoy this Ex GP30 Nick.

http://forums.railpictures.net/picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=49

cassfan3
03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Lost buoy - nice, the ex-GP30's are the best lookers on SCX even if they are slugs; wish we got more down here. I'm not sure what the routing is for the inbound NS sulfur train.

PJC1979 - I wish I could give you concrete information on times to catch the CLNA in action, but they usually outwit me when I'm trying to catch them. Seems like they always run on Friday and usually two or three other weekdays. The job out of Wilson used to predictably leave midmorning from the Black Creek Rd yard, run to Chocowinity and return early evening, but since they got that sulfur contract, things have gotten more eratic. A westbound CLNA with the GP35/30 combo w/ 55 cars surprised me around 1700 today, even though I'm not sure there was an eastbound this morning. I hope to have some more pics up on here by next week.

If you're wanting to model them, checking out the "Pirate bridge" over Charles street in Greenville is a must!

BR549
03-16-2010, 04:04 PM
If you're wanting to model them, checking out the "Pirate bridge" over Charles street in Greenville is a must!

Here's the bridge that Nick is referring to:
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=3192