PDA

View Full Version : RailAmerica Expanding?

Joe the Photog
02-07-2010, 03:30 AM
An e-mailer to the unofficial RailAmerica YahooGroup thinks the sixth job vacancy on this page --

http://www.railamerica.com/Employment/US_jobs.aspx

General Manager
36-10 To be determined (US based), 02/05/2010

means RA is acquiring a new railroad. Could that be? Or are they hiring a GM with the possibility of moving another GM from one road to another? (MEaning tey have a GM position open at a current road, but are not positive they won't move folks around, if they even work like that.)

ShortlinesUSA
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
A couple of things to consider--

They may turn people over enough that they're essentially always looking for a qualified GM candidate. They figure by the time they find, interview, and hire the right person, the opening will be there somewhere.

I think your theory about there being a vacancy, yet the bidding process for internal employees is not yet complete, is a very good one. The guy sick of being in the middle of Kansas on the Kyle might be very interested in that warm spot on the California Northern. Welcome to Kansas, Mr. New Hire!

Joe the Photog
02-09-2010, 03:59 AM
That seems a good theory to me. I tried digging around through various web searches for anything, but came up empty. And, of course, nothing from RA on their web site about a new line under their umbrella.

ShortlinesUSA
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like RA has just gotten a contract to provide management of the Hoosier Southern in Indiana. From the dollar value placed on the contract, sounds like RA's involvement will essentially be a one-man show, and the rest of the railroad pretty much remains as-is. Full story at the link:

http://www.perrycountynews.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?045+article+News+20100222095250045045001

So, there's your "location undetermined" general manager position, even if that wasn't their intention at the time of posting...

Joe the Photog
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the link, Mike.