PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am (Guilford) GP7/9s done, and other power notes

ShortlinesUSA
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
It appears that the fleet of GP7/9s on Pan Am Railways (formerly known as Guilford Rail System) is about done. Within the last month, all but four have been placed in storage. ST 12 is working as the shop switcher in Waterville, ME. 52 and 77 are still active as yard power in E. Deerfield, MA. 51 and 71 are on short term lease to the MMA to cover a temporary power shortage caused by a derailment at Brownville Jct. a couple of weeks ago. It is highly suspected that the leased pair will return to storage at Waterville once their time on MMA is up. Oddly enough, they have already been experiencing mechanical issues on the MMA, and have yet to be used as of a couple of days ago. Likely doesn't bode well for their future.

The Hinckley (SAPI) and Madison branch trains are now using a single GP40 as typical power. GP35s have been stored as well, in addition to the sole GP38 on the roster, B&M 252. For all practical purposes, Pan Am is now a solid GP40 roster for four axles, and that is the railroad's intent. Six axle power will be present in the form of the leased SD40-2s, and potentially 10 SD40-2s that reportedly have been purchased from KCS. These units are of TFM heritage.

Those who visit the recently revamped Pan Am will still find it best to stick with District 1 in Maine for the most trains with solid GRS/PAR power. Districts 3 and 4 from Ayer west are now frequented by the Helm SD40-2s and NS power.

A group of GP40s is being run through Waterville for rebuild, and receiving the updated dark blue Pan Am paint scheme. More and more are finding their way into multi unit consists, making solid GRS lashups a bit harder to find.

nikos1
03-11-2010, 12:36 AM
I dont really keep up with the Guilford roster as its way out of what i have any expectation of shooting but are any of the SD45's or SD26's still around? Those were unique units, wouldve really liked a shot of one of the HH SD45's.

ShortlinesUSA
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
All of the GRS six axles are stored. Last active were a couple of the ex ATSF SD26s and the sole remaining SD39. SD45 681 was the last of those active, and has been stored at Waterville, ME for some time now.

These dinosaurs have defied extinction before, having been placed in storage only to be pulled out for more service no one expected. However, with the leased Helms, NS power, and ex KCS SD40-2s most likely on the way, I am pretty confident they are done this time.

MEC 557
03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
How many GP7/9s are still on the roster for Pan Am/Guilford/Springfield Terminal? I'm referring to all the stored ones too in addition to the last few in operation. I know some of them were sold off years ago.

ShortlinesUSA
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Here is a link to their roster, updated at the end of 2009. All the geeps are on there that hadn't left the roster long ago, so this looks like what you're after. I'll also check another source at home later. The Diesel Shop is a great bookmark for railroad rosters.

http://www.dieselshop.us/GRS.HTML

MEC 557
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks! I just did bookmark that site, alot of info there and never knew it existed.

I am a member of the Railroad Museum of New England and we are currently working on rebuilding the prime mover of GP9 ex-ST #68 (B&M 1732). It should be back in service within the next 2 years.

ShortlinesUSA
03-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Six axles from KCS rumor is no rumor-- here comes the first batch:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=317569

No firm number assignment anyone has seen yet, but talk is 700 series. 10 of the current lot of Helm units on the system may stay, as well. As much as I don't care for the new Pan Am paint scheme, it's going to be hard not to like an SD40-2 wearing that dark blue.

Bryan Jones
03-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Six axles from KCS rumor is no rumor-- here comes the first batch:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=317569

As much as I don't care for the new Pan Am paint scheme, it's going to be hard not to like an SD40-2 wearing that dark blue.

The external appearance of these "new" units will make for quite a variety. In this first batch of 4 units alone you have 1 SD40-2 without dynamic brakes, 2 SD40 carbodies rebuilt to SD40-2 specs and 1 SD45 carbody rebuilt to SD40-2 specs! Perhaps a snoot SD40-2 will be among the other 6 units reportedly also coming from KCS?

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

ShortlinesUSA
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I hear you, Bryan. Throw in a snoot, and with any luck an old SDP40 core (doubtful on that, I think they kept those for the ECO program) and you'd have quite an assortment.

ShortlinesUSA
03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Looks like 52 and 77 are done, as well. That'd leave the two on lease to the MMA as the last active, and suspect they'll be stored on return. Almost to the end of an era, it appears...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=318499&nseq=56

ShortlinesUSA
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
The first two ex KCS units are renumbered are now MEC 600 and MEC 609. Here is a link to a photo:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2010032616230013217.jpg&order=bydate&page=1

ShortlinesUSA
06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
With respect to the GP7/9s, I made a crucial error-- when dealing with Pan Am/Guilford, don't say anything is "done" until the scrapper's torch has cut the frame, or it has left the property sold to another party.

They apparently have yet again found themselves power short, and at least 3 are out of the storage line and working in the Waterville, ME area, which has been their traditional home for the last several years.

ShortlinesUSA
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Yet more SD40-2s are arriving on Pan Am Railways, with a batch of ex Helm leasers now being purchased. Most are already on property, and are being renumbered into the 610-619 number series. Some, but not all, of these units were previously leased by PAR. Almost all of the original batch (MEC 600-609) are in Pan Am Railways paint. Waterville is painting at a rate not seen in years, making solid lashups of Guilford units a tough find, though still possible.

4 of the GP9s are seeing service out of Waterville, though rumor is near constant that as this batch of six axles displaces GP40s from the road trains, they will again be placed in storage and "re-retired."

New paint, old paint, old units, "new" units...sounds like a rewarding trip for anyone that heads that way in the coming months!

Bryan Jones
07-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Yet more SD40-2s are arriving on Pan Am Railways, with a batch of ex Helm leasers now being purchased. Most are already on property, and are being renumbered into the 610-619 number series. Some, but not all, of these units were previously leased by PAR. Almost all of the original batch (MEC 600-609) are in Pan Am Railways paint. Waterville is painting at a rate not seen in years, making solid lashups of Guilford units a tough find, though still possible.

4 of the GP9s are seeing service out of Waterville, though rumor is near constant that as this batch of six axles displaces GP40s from the road trains, they will again be placed in storage and "re-retired."

New paint, old paint, old units, "new" units...sounds like a rewarding trip for anyone that heads that way in the coming months!

This new batch of 10 Helm units will add yet more variety to the PAR SD40-2 fleet , with all units in this group being former SD45's and SD45-2's. There were a couple of SD45 carbodies in the KCS group but the SD45-2 carbody will be a new addition. A matched pair or trio of these respective carbodies would make for a pretty sweet catch once painted.

Another rumor from not all that long ago reported that the lone remaining SD39 and lone SD45 (retired) were going to be rebuilt or in the process of being rebuilt to SD40-2 specs and to become #610 and 611. Seems more likely that they would purhcase available SD40-2 types as they already have rather than rebuild the older pair, especially considering the bargain basement prices for the already available units compared to what it would cost for fresh rebuilds.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY