PDA

View Full Version : New power for the Wellsboro & Corning

ShortlinesUSA
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
No surprise here, SD40-2s are cheap and plentiful, and as traffic recovers they are being snapped up. From today's Progressive Railroading:

Wellsboro & Corning adds four six-axle units to locomotive fleetOn March 11, the Wellsboro & Corning Railroad (WCOR) took delivery of four SD40-2 six-axle locomotives.

The units are equipped with 3,000-horsepower, turbo-charged, V-16 engines that use microprocessors to boost efficiency, according to WCOR, which is wholly owned by Myles Group L.L.C. The additional locomotives will increase rail-car moving capability by 120 carloads and support a recent increase in business, Myles Group officials said in a prepared statement.

ShortlinesUSA
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
As additional info, the units are ex QNSL SD40-3s. Quite handsome units for just a patch job:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1967725

Also, for those not familiar with the WCOR, they run in northern PA/southern NY with headquarters in Wellsboro, PA. It appears they will be running a joint sand train with other shortline railroads in the region in support of shale drilling operations. (NOTE: the train is NOT joint with other lines, see update below).

TheRoadForeman
03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
As additional info, the units are ex QNSL SD40-3s. Quite handsome units for just a patch job:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1967725

Also, for those not familiar with the WCOR, they run in northern PA/southern NY with headquarters in Wellsboro, PA. It appears they will be running a joint sand train with other shortline railroads in the region in support of shale drilling operations.

What other shortline? And yes, I am very familiar with THEIR operation? Just curious......

ShortlinesUSA
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I might get the order messed up in order of how the traffic would move, but Lehigh Railway, Reading & Northern, and one (or more?) of the North Shore operations. Does this wind up essentially being an extension of the seasonal moves worked out between NSHR and RBMN, or is that something totally different? I've never had a clear understanding of how that joint run works, so I would appreciate any clarification/explanations you can offer.

Also, it is possible that I misread the intent of the statement I saw-- it's possible that these are railroads experiencing major traffic due to frac sand, rather than a joint train between them, or it may just be between a couple of them, such as coming off the R&N (TMSL), to the Lehigh Railway up to WCOR. If you haven't heard anything on your side, it may be that the Lehigh Railway was mistakenly called the LVRR, which I interpreted to be the Lycoming Valley. I will certainly update with better info if I see it.

TheRoadForeman
03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I might get the order messed up in order of how the traffic would move, but Lehigh Railway, Reading & Northern, and one (or more?) of the North Shore operations. Does this wind up essentially being an extension of the seasonal moves worked out between NSHR and RBMN, or is that something totally different? I've never had a clear understanding of how that joint run works, so I would appreciate any clarification/explanations you can offer.

Also, it is possible that I misread the intent of the statement I saw-- it's possible that these are railroads experiencing major traffic due to frac sand, rather than a joint train between them, or it may just be between a couple of them, such as coming off the R&N (TMSL), to the Lehigh Railway up to WCOR. If you haven't heard anything on your side, it may be that the Lehigh Railway was mistakenly called the LVRR, which I interpreted to be the Lycoming Valley. I will certainly update with better info if I see it.

Well, every railroad that I know of is benefiting from gas drilling projects in the NE.

chuckman
03-18-2010, 12:07 AM
They might put these on the corning turn too!

TheRoadForeman
03-19-2010, 12:17 AM
They might put these on the corning turn too!

The WCOR does not actually go to Corning..... Gang Mills is their terminus. I guess Wellsboro & Corning was more catchy than, Wellsboro & Gang Mills! Lol

ShortlinesUSA
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
OK, a bit more info. I was incorrect on my interpretation of what I was originally told-- they were pointing out all the various railroads benefitting from frac sand traffic. WCOR gets the sand from NS, and hauls it to Wellsboro. Here is a link to a nice story in the Philadelphia Inquirer that lays it out:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20100321_Marcellus_Shale_sends_short-line_railroad_booming.html