PDA

View Full Version : South Branch Valley RR gets a new GP38-3

ShortlinesUSA
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
This state-owned shortline in northeastern WV will be getting an all new GP38-3, rebuilt from a Southern Railway GP35, number 2646. Road number is SBVR 100. Photo and details of the work are at http://www.westernrailinc.com . Click on the "Rebuild" link in the left column.

SBVR 100 arrived in Cumberland, MD last night on CSX, and should be interchanged to the SBVR at Greenspring, WV either today (4/2/10) or Monday.

No word if this unit will displace any other locomotive on the roster. GP9 6135 is the only one I can think of that might go, as it is the only GP9 on the roster that has not been upgraded or painted in a special scheme.

ShortlinesUSA
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
NOTE: Even though Western Rails' site listed the unit as former 2676, I have been informed by some very reliable sources that track locomotive histories that it is actually former SOU 2646. The post above has been edited accordingly.

Miketherailfan
06-19-2010, 06:36 PM
No word if this unit will displace any other locomotive on the roster. GP9 6135 is the only one I can think of that might go, as it is the only GP9 on the roster that has not been upgraded or painted in a special scheme.
Railpace reported SBVR SD9s 180 and 181 were retired and that the railroad wants to get a few more GP38-3s. SD18 182 still remains in service at present time.

ShortlinesUSA
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I was very surprised to see that, Mike. Those old SD's were delivered maybe 5 years ago, so they didn't last long. I hope the SBVR has a fat bank account if they want a few more of those GP38-3s. The budget I saw for them showed they spent around $400K on that unit, though it is essentially a brand new locomotive.

Any sightings of the SBVR and what they're up to while everyone is in town for WV Rails would be greatly appreciated.