View Full Version : G&O Power Shuffle

cassfan3
04-17-2010, 03:20 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=321154

See caption for what I heard is happening to this unit. Any other info?:smile:

ShortlinesUSA
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Nick,

That unit should not have been on the CLNA. It did not work at the port in Morehead City. In fact, it was overhauled at G&O's shop in Knoxville in December, and had been working around that area. It was verified as still in Knoxville a couple of weeks ago being readied for shipment to the Nash County Railway in Rocky Mount, NC.

So, apparently what happened is NS was to hand that unit to CSX somewhere to make it to Rocky Mount. It's possible the transfer was to take place in Raleigh, or maybe they decided it would be easier to hand it to CLNA to get over to Wilson, then have CSX take it there. Either way, it appears someone assumed it was headed for Morehead, or it was incorrectly billed to Morehead City.

Moving shortline locos can be a very frustrating process. A lot of shortlines and locomotive brokers have resorted to taping large cardboard signs in the cab windows saying who owns the locomotive and/or to where it is being shipped, so that when the seemingly inevitable time comes along the loco's journey when someone says "I don't know where to send this thing" they can read in the window instead of rely on someone to get a correct billing for it.

cassfan3
04-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Mike. I was pretty sure that the port only had the little blue SW1200's but I didn't know if this unit had visited. Seems an odd addition to the NCYR since they haven't had a switcher in something like 25 years. They even got rid of all the GP10's for 38's and a 40.

ShortlinesUSA
04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing as soon as I heard this was sighted in the shop at Knoxville. It makes me wonder if they are going to use it to switch one of the grain elevators in order to avoid doing that with the road power unnecessarily. But they indeed did get away from the lower horsepower roster a couple of years back, so this does seem a little out of pace with the way things have gone the last few years.

Will be interesting to see how it is used once on the property. Appreciate any sightings any of you may have.