PDA

View Full Version : La Grange, KY and Tower 55 help.

EMTRailfan
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I had this request in the trip reports thread since I will be making a trip. OK, no replies, maybe wrong thread:

I will be making a trip to Ft. Worth in the middle of May. I've been to the Intermodal Transportation Center, and have seen Tower 55 from there...in the distance. I see quite a few photos on RP from ground level that are waaay closer than that. Is this area an easily accessible (and legal) area to get to? I have also seen overhead shots. These surely aren't from the "Mixmaster". Can anyone shed some light where the overhead shots are from?

Also, on one of the drives enroute to/from Texas, we hope to stop in La Grange, KY. What is the CSX traffic volume like through here for the street running? It appears primarily east-west, so positioning shouldn't much of a problem, minus high sun. Are there better days vs. others?

Bryan Jones
04-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I had this request in the trip reports thread since I will be making a trip. OK, no replies, maybe wrong thread:

Also, on one of the drives enroute to/from Texas, we hope to stop in La Grange, KY. What is the CSX traffic volume like through here for the street running? It appears primarily east-west, so positioning shouldn't much of a problem, minus high sun. Are there better days vs. others?

The CSX LCL sub runs through LaGrange. Between sunrise and sunset you could see 8-10 trains if you sat there all day, pretty much an even split between northbound and southbound traffic. Generally weekdays are the best as far as traffic goes but like anything it can be a crapshoot. At the end of the street trackage there is a siding so if you hang around long enough you have a good shot at a meet.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

Chris Kilroy
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
La Grange can be overwhelmingly busy, or completely dead, depending on your luck when you're there. I've shot 5 within an hour and a half on a Saturday morning, and have seen periods during traditionally busy times where nothing shows up for 3-4 hours on end. The approach lit signal at the north end of town, which is only lit when lined by the CL dispatcher, is definitely a big help.

Good luck!

EMTRailfan
05-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the help on La Grange guys!

Bumping the thread for my Tower 55 request above. Leaving for TX next weekend.

Also need some radio freq. confirmation.

BNSF Ft. Worth Sub (south just out of FW)- 160.650 (road/disp)
UP Ft Worth Sub (" " " ")- according to my notes from '07, I have 160.665 or 161.160, but I took poor notes in that regard :-/
TRE-161.355
CSX La Grange-161.370/161.520...Which is road, and which is dispatch?

I will be spending most of my mornings at the UP signal near MacPherson Blvd. if any of you Ft. Worth guys would like to stop in and say hi. If any of you would be interested in being a tour guide around the area, contact me off list and we can exchange contact info to set something up.

We'll be in La Grange in the evening/night of the 20th, and through the day on the 21st if anyone wants to meet up. Planning on departing at about 1600 on 21st to head home.

Thanks again for the help!!!