PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Scan Lines

MOJAX
01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi:

I'm so old that all my photos were shot using 35mm Kodak slide film. I have been scanning them using an hp scanjet 4670, I also use Photoshop CS to get them ready. The problem I have is my inability to set the scanner properly to avoid the scan lines appearing on the digital image. I have close to 2000 slides and a fair amount of them would make the grade here if I could loose the scan lines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael O'Neil
MOJAX

Silagi
01-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Check your instruction manual for cleaning instructions...clean it, and then recalibrate it.

MOJAX
01-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the tip Richard. I gave the scanner and the slide attachment a really good going over, but the results were the same.

David Telesha
01-21-2005, 04:11 AM
I believe, but am not certain these are called something like ISO lines or something like that - it happens when you scan at a high res and the lines appear most in dark colors, correct??

I got this when scanning my prints over 300dpi and scanning slides over 1200dpi.

I didn't get the lines in sunny day shots except in the shadows, but my cloudy day shots came out with lines.

What I did, if they were only in a few small areas, was carefully and very lightly smudge them out with a photo editor program using the smudge brush but only doing a certain continuous area at a time - i.e. one paint color and follow the edge and I did not go over any details just traced them out. Very simple and effective with some time and patience.

If it was in a wide area - i.e. the entire photo had slight scan lines, I would soften the entire photo - on a scale of 1-10 about 2-3 - and then use the sharpen line feature to re-instate the sharpness of the details.

MOJAX
01-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Hi David:

Thanks, I will give that a try when I get home.

steamfan1211
09-30-2005, 12:12 AM
I had a similar problem with a HP scanjet 3600. I actually disassembled it and cleaned the inside of the glass as well as the outside. It got rid of the lines.

MOJAX
09-30-2005, 03:51 AM
I thought about doing that, but generally when I take something apart there is always parts left over. I'm kicking around the idea of taking them to a photo house and having them do the scanning.

<o =""></o>Wife and I are heading to <st1:country-region><st1 ="">New Zealand</st1></st1:country-region> this winter for a few weeks. Any places we should check out?

Thanks
Michael

steamfan1211
09-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Nice to hear you are heading "downunder". You might like to take a look at www.mainlinesteam.co.nz all their depots welcome visitors. Also I would recommend a trip on the Tranz Alpine train between Christchurch and Greymouth. That line is also heavy with coal trains in spectacular mountain scenery.

Auckland has a new central station in downtown Auckland which is worth a look.

From the tourist point of view don't forget Rotorua, Bay of Islands, Doubtful Sound, Milford Sound .... oh heck, just about anywhere. :-)

All the best
Michael