PDA

View Full Version : Cannon Digital Rebel

mtrails
01-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Hello,
I am interested in the Cannon Digital Rebel camera. I have seen photo's taken with the camera, and am impressed. I see they cost around $1,000 though. Has anyone found a DR for under $1k? I would also like to know, can I play with it? Are the settings/lens fully manual? My Gateway DC-T50 likes to determine settings even on full manual mode, which has screwed me out of a number of pictures. When a train is in motion, you don't have much time to re-calibrate settings when zooming in, or changing angle! Also, how much distance is the flash good for, and what is the max exposure time?
Any pertinent information relating to the Digital Rebel would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeremy

Ken Carr
01-18-2005, 04:12 AM
I keep learning what I can do with the camera, you can shoot on manual or without I've tried it both ways with mix results there is a learning curve but I'm getting better at it.

E3429
01-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Good review on it here with a link to the lowest prices.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/300d.html

Bryan Jones
01-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Yes, the Digital Rebel kit can be had for well under $1000 now. Right now the full kit which includes the 18-55mm lens runs $869 at B&H Photo-Video. There is a $100 Canon mail in rebate if you purchase it before January 31 so that would get you down to $769 in the end. However it gets better if you purchase other items that Canon offers the rebate available on. If you buy 2 qualifying items you get double the rebate, or if you buy 3 items (the limit) you get triple the rebate. If you bought a couple of lenses that are part of the program you could get the Digital Rebel kit for as little as $569 after the $300 in rebates you would get from the camera alone. Its definitely a good time to act, I've already got a 10D but am considering picking up a few lenses that I'm interested in just because of the current deal.

Bryan Jones

Sparky
01-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Hello,
I am interested in the Cannon Digital Rebel camera.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I have owned the 300D for two months now, and am having lots of fun. As Ken wrote, there is a learning curve on use, and I'm only at the bottom of that curve. Yes, it can be operated in full manual, although I've yet to do so.

Over the years, I've shot with a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic, Yashica 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, Pentax 6 x 7, Pentax K-1000, and Nikon N2020, of all the cameras, I'm having the must fun with the 300D.

All of the above cameras with the right film will give a higher quality images than the 300D. But, for what I'm after, prints no larger than 8x10, the 300D does a fine job and I'm very happy with it and what it yields.

Jim - Lawton, NV 235.5

brunswickrailfan
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
All of the pictures from mid-June 2004 to mid-December 2004 in the link below were taken with my Digital Rebel. Fantastic beginner DSLR, but I have since upgraded to a 10D I got off of e-bay for $981 (with 24mm lens, 512mb card, and 2 batteries). I suggest looking on e-bay for deals on 10Ds, if anything, it's better built.

http://www.railpictures.net/members/photostats.php?userid=1212

mtrails
01-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments! I was browsing film camera's, and decided I liked the efficiency and convenience of having a digital camera. My current digital camera (also my first), does not aide my phtography skills! My Gateway DC-T50 likes to determine settings even on full manual mode, which has screwed me out of a number of pictures. The saying goes, "a craftsman is only as good as his tools"

Jeremy