PDA

View Full Version : Locations on the PRR west of Philly?

JRMDC
07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
This weekend I will be in Valley Forge PA for a family vacation. I hope to get a bit of time to go trackside but will not have hours and hours to go places or to wait/search for trains. So my intention is to go to one of the nearby SEPTA commuter stations on the Amtrak line from Philadelphia heading west and get some shots.

Any suggestions on which location might have an attractive station that is well situated for decent photography in decent light? I am thinking Berwyn, or Wayne.(recently finished a remodeling?), or maybe Paoli, not for the station but for the tower. The closer to Valley Forge the better.

One problem is that it appears the stations tend to be on the south side of the tracks. Berwyn looks like a location where the track is sufficiently off the east-west axis that at the right time of day decent light may be present.

Also, it would be nice if there is a good location above the tracks or an unobstructed view from across the tracks. Also, it would be nice for the track side of the station not to be completely obstructed by the platform roof.

Demanding? Who, me?

All suggestions and information gratefully received.

J

J
07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Stratford (few miles east of Paoli) has a particularly attractive station. All the buildings located on the south side since that is where the in-bound commuters wait for their trains. Further east there are a number of smaller roadway overpasses - many with sidewalks. With some creativity you can shoot through the catenary.

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/topicimages/s/st/strafford_(septa_station).gif

JRMDC
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that. I think I had looked at Stratford a bit, didn't find it pretty according to my personal tastes. Will reconsider. Seems to have good sight lines from what I can tell on the web, looks like there is a good shot looking to the west.