PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak locos

coaststarlight14
07-30-2010, 08:13 PM
What is the difference between amtrak's P32 AC-DM's, P40's and P42's?

(please reply with photo's and descriptions if possible)

Freericks
07-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Sorry, but I'm just going to give you a quick explination (and frankly, all three are pretty much identical anyway).

P40DCs are the original locomotives, and were built during the Dash 8 period of GE production. These came by their model designation retroactively, as far as I can tell. When first built they were Genesis Locomotves and AMD103s. They may have also actually been Dash 8-40B somethings... does anyone else remember that?

P32AC-DMs are an interesting modification in that they can run off third rail electricty with their diesels shut down. They are only used on the east coast, specifically running north of New York City. Amtrak has some and Metro North has some, and two railroads have different third rail shoes on them (even though they both run on a lot of the same trackage). Amtrak's pick up their juice from overrunning third rail in Penn Station while Metro North's do so from underunning third rail in Grand Central Terminal. As a rule, when not in the tunnels, they run as diesels, even in third rail territory. These often go by the nickname "Gennie," for Genesis.

P42DCs are the locomotives that you see pretty much everywhere. They look exactly like the other two (well, except for the third rail shoes on the 32s). These are essentially Dash 9 versions of the P40DCs, built in the same carbody.

coaststarlight14
07-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Thank's a bunch! i new they all looked very similar but i wondered what the precise differences, and which you provided them.

here's a pic of a P40DC pushing a capitol corridor (i new it was different because of the number)

Freericks
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
The P40DCs had been stored out of service for some time. A couple went to New Jersey Transit even (where I think they are now out of service due to a fire).

The remaining Amtrak ones are now being refurbished as part of the stimulas package. Hadn't realized any were here in California. Thanks for the image.

As far as spotting... frankly roster numbers are the only way I've ever tried.