PDA

View Full Version : New Bridge coming to Letchworth (NS/CP)

Mgoldman
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM
NS is hoping to (finally) replace the trestle at Letchworth State Park (the Grand Canyon of NY) in the near(?) future due to structural issues and capacity.

The new bridge will support an industry standard 286,000 lbs per rail car and will be an arch span.

Get your pics now! And the PC's that go along with them.
Remember to stop by the near by Arcade and Attica Steam line!

http://www.gbnrtc.org/fileadmin/content/pdf/Freight/Portageville_Bridge_Presentation.pdf

/Mitch

PLEzero
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Hopefully they build it at a slightly better angle.

jnohallman
09-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I have to say their conceptual image of the replacement span actually looks pretty nice. I was expecting something ugly that would really ruin the appearance of the location, but dare I say I actually like the idea for the new span better than the appearance of the current one?

Jon

crazytiger
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I like the look of the new bridge, but it looks like you might lose sight of the trucks. I don't know.

DWHonan
09-06-2010, 07:14 AM
but it looks like you might lose sight of the trucks

*bangs head against the wall*

Who cares whether the trucks will be obscured? Let's give NS credit for concluding that this line can be a strategic link in their east-west and north-south networks, and for deciding to make the capital investment to construct a replacement span at the location instead of throwing up their hands, re-routing traffic elsewhere and abandoning a significant chunk of the Tier. It's going to be one heck of an engineering feat to build a new bridge over that gorge, and I for one can't wait to see what form the new bridge takes, regardless of whether they choose another tower bridge or a massive deck arch or even to replicate Robert Stephenson's Britannia Railway Bridge.

crazytiger
09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
It is in the proposal, did you see it or is that just a rendering of one option. About the trucks, I don't really care whether you can or not, but RP does. That is why I said it.

DWHonan
09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
It is in the proposal, did you see it or is that just a rendering of one option.

That appears to be simply a rendering; according to NYSDOT's site, the project has only been completed through the scoping phase:
https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/operating/opdm/passenger-rail/portageville
Final alignment and structure type won't be determined until the engineering analysis is complete.

About the trucks, I don't really care whether you can or not, but RP does. That is why I said it.

It's such a fallacy to tailor one's photographic pursuits to the standards of this website.

crazytiger
09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
You are right on the first one (I missed that, good eye) but I said that "I don't really care," but in the context of this site the trucks may be important. I do however fall largely victim in general to shooting in the context of this site, because this is where I have learned what good photography is, so what is pleasing to my eye is extremely similar to "what would get on RP." I am getting over this eventually will get there I assume.

Photoshooter09
09-07-2010, 09:17 PM
This has been circulating for some time now. Please keep in mind that NY State is not the best friend of rail infrastructure (Also, extremely high taxes on rail property). I seriously doubt that the State will cough up that much cash to fix/replace the Portageville trestle.

chuckman
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Stuff like this has been rumored since the 1980s, and this is just another step into what might become reality if NS can actually get cooperation from all involved.

chuckman
09-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Hopefully they build it at a slightly better angle.Now that I think about it...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=322495
it doesn't look quite right! Yes, the level on my tripod was in the center!