PDA

View Full Version : New Hope and Ivyland

Cameraman
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Can someone offer a little primer on this line? I see they have web site, but I am more interested in the diesels and the freight than the tourist trains and the steam.

I see photos of the diesels on the tourist trains. Do they do this on a regular basis or only if steam is down?

I have counted one big GE and one GP30. Is that the total of their roster? Do thye have any active power that is NOT painted?

Dose freight run beyond the tourist train route?

What are the end points and interchanges? Any typical start times?

CM

ShortlinesUSA
10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
I can't say I've seen many photos of their freight operations. Last I know of, they were running freight on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They run light power down to Warminster, work customers there, take the interchange to CSX at Warminster, and then back to New Hope light power. I recall on duty time as 0800, but don't hold me to that. Suffice to say it's the typical "be there early" routine as with most shortlines. But essentially, their freight ops are a "terminal" operation around Warminster, and that may well be the reason you don't see or hear much about them.

There is an unpainted locomotive on the roster, and that is ex CP SD40 5577. I have no idea if it has entered service or not. Last I heard, it had yet to be used, but it has been some time since I've seen any mention of that.

If I'm not mistaken, the diesels are regularly used on excursions, and the steam only runs on certain days/trains. Their website may give details on that.

I'd certainly welcome any further information from our members.

ShortlinesUSA
10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Did a bit more searching around, and the 5577 is indeed in service, and appears to be the primary power for the freight ops in Warminster at this time. It is in plain CP red with no markings, not even NHIR sublettering.