PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Terminal Railroad - Current Status?

nikos1
10-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if Mike or anyone else had some current info on the Chicago Terminal RR. Im going to Chicago Thanksgiving week, and though I know I dont have much chance of getting them in action I figured I may as well ask since im fascinated by this little operation. With the way things are headed im afraid it will go the way of the CIRY within a few years. I read that the City of Chicago was able to get the STB to approve adverse abandonment of the Lakewood and Kingsbury lines, which is a real shame, that was some interesting trackage, though it wasn't likely that anything was going to run on them again.
If anyone knows their operating schedule, I would be interested to know, I plan on calling their yard office that week before I leave, if nothing else if I have a totally useless cloudy day I may just go walk the ROW of the Kinsbury and Lakewood lines so I can see them before they get pulled up.
If anyone has some info please share.
Thanks

-Nikos

ShortlinesUSA
10-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, not much info on this operation I've seen lately. As you note, a lot of their interesting trackage has been taken out of service, and as I understand, there is not much left for them to do on that operation.

Not sure if you are aware, but they also work in an extensive industrial park in Bensenville, IL on the west side of O'Hare International Airport. However, that has nowhere near the character that the original operation did.

Hopefully someone else can add more. If nothing else, please let us know how your trip goes. Once that downtown trackage disappeared, this one seems to have completely fallen off peoples' radar. I used to have a very solid contact at Iowa Pacific, but unfortunately no longer do. Overall, they tend to be a pretty friendly operation.