PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Shortline Schedules

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
10-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Hey guys,

Looking for schedule/operating information on the Georgia Central (whole system), Heart of Georgia, Hartwell/Great Walton (all lines), Sandersville Railroad, Pickens & Lancaster & Chester.

Thanks in advance. We'll be in the area next Monday-Friday.

crazytiger
10-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Seconded, I would love some info about the PICK.

Joe the Photog
10-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Anthony Davis should be able to fill in all the relevant PICK information. I'll cross post the L&C stuff off of Facebook if anyone wants me to.

ShortlinesUSA
10-29-2010, 08:16 PM
PICK typically goes on duty around 0800 at Gluck, which is just south of Anderson. They will usually head up to the NS interchange in downtown Anderson mid morning, and are often found there anytime from 10-noon. Back south to Gluck, and it is possible that another job may "break away" from the train and head over to Belton.

Don't forget, relatively new shortline Greenville & Western is at Belton, as well. PICK also operates from Belton to Honea Path with a separate job, but only a couple of times a week as far as I'm aware. Not certain of days.

HOG has jobs based at Cordele and Americus. Cordele job is a switcher, may stay just there performing local work, or head a bit east to work some customers on that end. A job from Americus often comes west to Cordele, picks up rock there, and heads east back to Americus. Both of these jobs are on around 0700-0800 as far as I'm aware.

Look for the SAN to come east out of Kaolin mid to late morning. Be in place for the short stretch of street running in Sandersville. They'll weigh their train at the yard south of downtown, then proceed to the NS yard at Tennille.

Nikos filled you in better than I can on the GC. If you're on the Savannah end, they tend to head out of there late afternoon if the times haven't changed. I've seen the train staged on their mainline at Pooler several times. Their yard is just south of the Amtrak station, though I've never been. They are not as open on letting you on the property anymore now that they are in GWI's fold. Don't just roll up to the yard office and start shooting away like the days of old.

gradymck
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
FYI on PICK. Last time I was down that way, the train from Gluck met a train from Honea Path and Belton. They were both in town around 11:00 a.m. (Anderson). I chased the train back to Gluck and shot over to Belton in time to catch the Honea Path train coming in from Anderson.

Also....last I heard was that Greenville & Western leaves Belton in the afternoon heading to G-ville.....but its been some time since I have chased them.

SCFrankie
11-06-2010, 05:14 AM
I have not visited the Pickens or the Greenville & Western for over a year now, but when I did pay them a visit, I would simply drive down out of Belton around noon and usually the Pickens local from Anderson would be creeping down towards the G&W interchange (both railroads run parallel to the road on opposite sides). The G&W crew would generally wait for the Pickens to drop a few carloads at the interchange then shuffle them around in the yard, followed by a run up to Pelzer.

The Pickens local continues into Honea Path, although last time I was there they did not return to Belton that afternoon. Very slow running trains, easy to follow and set up for photos.