PDA

View Full Version : Scanners & Antennas for RR

Pat Lorenz
02-06-2005, 12:33 AM
I am looking into a new scanner set up. My old set up is sort of out dated and recently i have been having bad luck with getting a signal. So i was wondering what everybody else is using. So if you could please write down what you have that would be great. Please include the make and model of the scanner body, make and lenght of your antenna and you opinion on the scanner (if you like it or not).
Thanks,
PAT

brunswickrailfan
02-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Yaesu/Vertex VX150. Yeah, it's a HAM radio, but for $110 it beats all similarly priced scanners by a long shot in terms of sensitivity. Before my V8000 took over as my main go-to radio, my VX150 was connected to a Diamond K600S trunk-lip mount and a Comet SBB-25 2m band antenna (about 4.5 feet tall). Consistance signals from 20-30 miles away. The V8000 beats it with a consistant 30-40+ and stronger Tx power, but that isn't what your looking for. :wink:

Hope this helps. :D

Ken Carr
02-06-2005, 02:00 AM
I use a Radio Shack Pro 89 scanner in the truck with a 24 inch VHF/UHF roof antenna gives me a range of over fifty miles out here in the desert especially with lowground. Inside I have a older Radio Shack Pro 10 both have served me well. The Pro 89 has been ran over a couple of times and keeps on working.

Pat Lorenz
02-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Well i really like that Yaesu/ Vertex VX150 that you were talking about. It looks really good and the specs on it look really good. But this radio has a microphone, meaning that i can talk back to the RR? Is this true? Isnt that illegal or something like that.
Please clear this up.
Thanks,
PAT

Joe
02-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Yes, it's illigal to talk on any AAR channel, unless it's some humougus emergency (or you are an RR employee :) ). I think you need some kind of license for a HAM radio?

cmherndon
02-06-2005, 03:09 AM
Right now, I'm using a GE (God forbid) PCS handheld with scan capability connected to a modified Radio Shack scanner. I only use the top section that came with the antenna for better sensitivity in the railroad band. I had a Yaesu FT-2800 mobile in my old car with a Maxrad 1/4 wave antenna tuned for 137-174 MHz. I figure that will be going in the current vehicle once the weather warmes up. There's no comparison between it and a scanner.

Pat Lorenz
02-06-2005, 04:37 AM
So what do you guys recommend?
PAT

brunswickrailfan
02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
But this radio has a microphone, meaning that i can talk back to the RR? Is this true? Isnt that illegal or something like that.
Please clear this up.
Thanks,
PAT

No, the radio displays "Error" on the LCD when you try to push the Tx button out of the 2m band. And yes, highly illegal an ddangerous, but one has to open the radio up and fiddle around... :roll:

Pat Lorenz
02-07-2005, 03:12 AM
What do you guys think of a Uniden Bear Cat scanner?
PAT