PDA

View Full Version : NYSW SD70Ms coming home

ShortlinesUSA
12-11-2010, 12:24 AM
After years of service offline, including a lease to CSX, then RailAmerica properties Indiana & Ohio, Florida East Coast, and New England Central, the Susquehana SD70Ms are headed home.

It is unknown at this point if they will see service on the "Susie Q," but this is an interesting development because after the loss of the SeaLand traffic years ago, their lease rates were deemed too expensive to warrant keeping them on the system.

NECR train 324 should have them in consist tonight, and hopefully they'll be back in NY/NJ in the next few days. Any updates on their status or sightings in service on the NYSW are greatly appreciated.

troy12n
12-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm sure they barely run by this point. RA and I&O isnt exactly known for taking care of it's equipment. I never even saw them run on the FEC.

nikos1
12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Did these things ever run on the FEC at all? I havnt seen any shots of them on the FEC other than them sitting dead at New Smyrna.

troy12n
12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Did these things ever run on the FEC at all? I havnt seen any shots of them on the FEC other than them sitting dead at New Smyrna.

I dont think so, I am on some FEC and Florida railroad yahoo groups and if they were out and about, I would have seen at least SOME mention.

Not to mention, Bob Pickering would have posted some pics of them at St. Augustine by now...

I think they were pretty much run into the ground by the I&O and are likely not much better than scrap metal now. I dont know if NYSW owns or has them on a lease. If they were leased, I would imagine their original lease is up very soon. They were delivered in January 1996, so 15 years would be up next month (assuming 15 year lease). This actually makes sense if they are returning to NYSW now.

ShortlinesUSA
12-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Believe it or not, they were fixed up at the New England Central's shop in St. Albans, VT, with one even receiving a new alternator. They should be ready to roll when they get to the NYSW.

From what I have seen, they will be regulars on the SU99/100 trains between Little Ferry, NJ and Binghamton, NY. Hope some of our RP.net contributors will catch them in action.

chuckman
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe I just missed a detail because I'm a younger guy, but why would NYS&W take their practically new SD70Ms, and start leasing them out. Why not just use them all this time? I would think they would make more money using them then loaning them to railroads that won't necessarily baby them. Living in Rochester, I can't wait to possibly get down to Starrucca this summer to shoot a pair!

ShortlinesUSA
12-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Simple explanation for that one-- after they lost the SeaLand double stack traffic post Conrail split, the higher lease rate of these units made them unaffordable for the NYSW. It made more economic sense to lease them out to other roads at a rate that could cover the lease payments, and purchase older power on the secondhand market to use on the NYSW. They also returned some retired units to service, as well.

I believe at this point, the units are paid off, and are property of the NYSW. This is why they now make economic sense-- not because traffic has drastically increased on the NYSW and they are desperately needed or can now be economically operated.

ssw9662
12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
4052 was the third engine on SU99 out of NJ last night (full power was 3010-3618-4052-3016). 4050 and 4054 are still in the NYSW Binghamton shops, but one or both of them appeared to be running when I was there today. The engines' paint is rather faded compared with the rest of the NYSW fleet, which isn't much of a surprise given that they probably haven't been painted since they were built. I got some pics, but unfortunately nothing even close to RP-worthy.