PDA

View Full Version : CPL's

PLEzero
12-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Once the calendar turns to 2011 my hunt for CPL's is going to commence. I just finished mapping out my plan for the CSX Cumberland Sub between Cumberland and Hancock.

Where else are they?

TAMR159
12-30-2010, 04:39 AM
There's a few left on the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, still very much active on various "CTC islands."

JRMDC
12-30-2010, 05:03 AM
When you get to the east end of the Cumberland Sub, continue east on the Metropolitan Sub. :)

Brunswick (by the tower! and a 2nd one! ), Buck Lodge, Seneca Fill, Cloppers, Ward, Derwood Dip, Randolph Road, Georgetown Jct. Maybe I am forgetting one. There is one further in toward or in DC, barely shootable. Check my shots on RP, and contact me offline.

An opportunity to post thumbnails! Gotta do it ...

[photoid=193780]
[photoid=190720]
[photoid=172696]
[photoid=171842]
[photoid=167370]

Look at all those low ID numbers! I haven't gone out to shoot CPLs in a loooong time.
J

stlgevo51
12-30-2010, 05:12 AM
They replaced all of the CPL's on the ex B&O line east of St. Louis a couple of years ago. I always wonder why they replaced the signals on this lightly used line than on busier routes such as the ones listed above.

My plan for next year is the ATSF cantilever and bridge type signals that guard the BNSF Transcon. In fact, I started a little early and headed up there over the past three days. Of course, as my luck would have it, I only got 1 decent photo of a train under a signal bridge. Clouds moved in around 3 o'clock Tuesday and Wednesday was overcast the whole day, so a trip this spring is definitely in order.

ssw9662
12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
The Philly Sub still has a bunch of CPLs, at least for now. Also I think there may be a few remaining in the Baltimore terminal area, but I'm not sure if they are accessible.

troy12n
12-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Dont forget the N&W CPL's and PRR PL signals.

J. E. Landrum
12-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Cincinnati Terminal is packed with B&O CPL's, even on C&O rails (resignalled in 1992). Off the top of my head I'd say there are 20 or so distinct locations outside of Queensgate Yard (CPL dwarfs galore) with CPL's in the terminal limits. The B&O from Cincinnati to Washington, Indiana is all CPL except for three locations.

EMTRailfan
12-31-2010, 03:43 AM
There's a few left on the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, still very much active on various "CTC islands."

Going south, Mt. Jewett, Johnsonburg, and Dubois.

jdirelan87
12-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Cincinnati Terminal is packed with B&O CPL's, even on C&O rails (resignalled in 1992). Off the top of my head I'd say there are 20 or so distinct locations outside of Queensgate Yard (CPL dwarfs galore) with CPL's in the terminal limits. The B&O from Cincinnati to Washington, Indiana is all CPL except for three locations.

Is there a timetable for their replacement? That many might be worth a plane ticket....

chuckman
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
There's a few left on the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, still very much active on various "CTC islands."And of course, the ones that have been turned around and retired are still there too, not sure if you're after those. There are retired signals in Limestone and Foster Brook as far as I know.

J. E. Landrum
01-01-2011, 01:37 AM
The Indiana Sub signals could go anytime although I've not heard of any such plans. But that line has had the Sword of Damocles dangling above it for years. For the CPL's in the terminal limits (Hamilton to Cincinnati, Cincinnati to Covington, and Queensgate Yard) there are no plans to replace them as they are not that old or having any issues.

Is there a timetable for their replacement? That many might be worth a plane ticket....

MTM9
01-02-2011, 03:50 AM
There is still one left on the CSX St Louis Main at Smithboro, IL.

PArailfan
01-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Greene Junction in Connellsville on the CSX Keystone Sub still has three working CPL's. Somehow everything in the else area got replaced.

Harry Gaydosz
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
CSX New Castle Sub still has CPLs too.

Watain
02-22-2011, 06:25 AM
The Bristol-Roanoke VA line still has CPL's as far as I know. I still have yet to shoot any. :cry:

troy12n
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
For those that care, NS seems to be stepping up their efforts to get rid of the CPL's.

They are working on the Christiansburg District now, have replaced signals at PD Junction, "KV", Narrows in the past couple months as well as a couple other locations on the Pokey.