PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Laurel?

Watain
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I drive by the huge Eastman chemical plant in Kingsport, Tennessee everyday on my way to work, and there is an old silver and red Geep(GP9 or GP10) that says Mountain Laurel on the side. It the switches cars around in the huge yard at the plant(operated by Appalachian Rail Link I think), It pretty much never leaves that yard. Usually CSX or NS goes to the plant and picks up cars.

Apparently back in 1996 Mountain Laurel and a Shawmut Line were purchased by Genessee & Wyoming.

Any body have any more info they would like to share about Mountain Laurel. I cant find anything else about it outside of what I found from this website.

http://www.shawmutline.com/?p=1

Looks like some of their old Locomotives also ended up on a shortline in Louisiana as well.

[photoid=126889]

EMTRailfan
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey!!! This hits close to home. The Mountain Laurel was a subsidiary of the Pittsburg and Shawmut. P&S purchased the "Mountain Laurel" line from Conrail. The line was originally the Allegheny Valley Railway, then Pennsy's Low Grade. The Low Grade was abandoned by Conrail from their Valley Sub that paralleled the Allegheny River between Oil City and Pittsburgh in the mid-late 80's from the river to Lawsonham. The rest of the line remained in use due to Shannon Tipple in Sligo on the Sligo Branch. The B&P abandoned and removed the Sligo Branch and the rest of the Low Grade to Brookville in Nov 2007. The Buffalo and Pittsburgh still operates the Laurel Line from Brookville to Driftwood. B&P has a repair facility at the old P&S Shops accessed by the old interchange track between P&S and Pennsy.

I haven't done any digging yet, but is this the same Geep that was/is on the Finger Lakes Railway?

EMTRailfan
03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I haven't done any digging yet, but is this the same Geep that was/is on the Finger Lakes Railway?

Guess not.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=MNL

Watain
03-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Hey!!! This hits close to home. The Mountain Laurel was a subsidiary of the Pittsburg and Shawmut. P&S purchased the "Mountain Laurel" line from Conrail. The line was originally the Allegheny Valley Railway, then Pennsy's Low Grade. The Low Grade was abandoned by Conrail from their Valley Sub that paralleled the Allegheny River between Oil City and Pittsburgh in the mid-late 80's from the river to Lawsonham. The rest of the line remained in use due to Shannon Tipple in Sligo on the Sligo Branch. The B&P abandoned and removed the Sligo Branch and the rest of the Low Grade to Brookville in Nov 2007. The Buffalo and Pittsburgh still operates the Laurel Line from Brookville to Driftwood. B&P has a repair facility at the old P&S Shops accessed by the old interchange track between P&S and Pennsy.

Thanks for the info. I drove by it again today and the unit number is 16.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1364448

Just wondered how it made it to East Tennessee?

I'd love to get a shot of it, but its pretty much considered terrorist activity to point a camera at the plant. lol