PDA

View Full Version : Operator selected for ex MMA trackage in Maine

ShortlinesUSA
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
News has broken that the Eastern Maine Railway (New Brunswick Southern) will operate the state owned lines purchased from the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic.

More at this link:

http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/15880/Default.aspx

In my opinion, this is the absolute best outcome for these lines, as EMRY is owned by the Irving Corporation, who controls a lot of land in Northern Maine, and ships a good deal of wood products by these lines. It also provides a connection to the existing EMRY/NBSR system via overhead rights between Millinocket and Brownsville Jct.

It will be interesting to see how well this works, but I for one think this is an encouraging development for railroading in northern Maine.

nikos1
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Very good to hear these lines will stay in use.

scrappy19784
04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
nice too see the line saved

ShortlinesUSA
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
MMA has announced they will sell their now isolated northern segment from Van Buren to Madawaska to Eastern Maine Railway. MMA will no longer operate any trackage north of East Millinocket, ME once this change occurs. News link:

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/06/business/hermon-railroad-announces-deal-to-sell-tracks-to-madawaska-mill/

Hatchetman
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Mike

Any idea if any trains run on the old Maine Central between Augusta and Brunswick? It is a very scenic route along the Kennebec river.

ShortlinesUSA
12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately, the Lower Road presently sees no traffic between Augusta and Brunswick. There is seemingly always some discussion of potential passenger and/or freight traffic over the line, but nothing has yet to come of any rumors.

Pan Am (aka Guilford) runs north from Portland to Brunswick, and the Downeaster passenger service is being extended to Brunswick. Maine Eastern operates east from Brunswick to Rockland. Pan Am operates south to Augusta from Waterville a couple of times a week.

That sums up what is active on the Lower Road at the moment. Tracks are in place between Augusta and Brunswick, so that does help with it having some potential for re-activation.

Hatchetman
12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info Mike. Maybe someday the Downeaster will run to Augusta...but I doubt it.