PDA

View Full Version : Help with -2, MAC, etc.

signmasters
02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I NEED HELP FINDING OUT WHAT THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS AFTER THE MODEL #, -2, -3, DASH8, DASH9, MAC, ACe, I'M NEW AT THIS AND WAS LOOKING FOR A WEB SITE THAT MIGHT HELP ME. (EMD SD70ACe) THANK YOU.

brunswickrailfan
02-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I NEED HELP FINDING OUT WHAT THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS AFTER THE MODEL #, -2, -3, DASH8, DASH9, MAC, ACe, I'M NEW AT THIS AND WAS LOOKING FOR A WEB SITE THAT MIGHT HELP ME. (EMD SP70ACe) THANK YOU.

First off, no need to shout (caps lock).

The traditional "-2" is what EMD used to denote modular electronics. Electrical components used to be hard-wired into the electrical system and were a PITA to maintain. Now with the SD70M-2, EMD uses the notation to mean "DC traction."

"-3" is a notation used by rebuilders to mean that there is a newer computer system installed. It takes another step past "-2" and is only used by rebuilders.

"Dash-8" is a model series using a specific type of engine, I believe. The same goes for "Dash-9."

"MAC" means that the cab is separate from the rest of the engine as it is "modular" and is cushioned for ride quality.

"ACe" is the EMD term for the new Tier-2 emissions compiant engine.

Guilford350
02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
-2; modular electronics, various upgrades and improvements.

-3; microprocessor electronics, usually equipped with wheel slip control systems.

Dash-7, 8, and 9 designates the decade when a particular locomotive model or locomotive series came out. Dash-7 is roughly equivalent to EMD's -2 line while Dash-8 and 9 have microprocessor electronics and other improvements.

MAC and ACe are really two designations in one. "M" stands for safety cab and "AC" is used to designate the AC propulsion system. The "e" in ACe promotes the Tier-II emissions compliant prime mover.