PDA

View Full Version : GG-1

Gregory Wallace
09-11-2003, 04:26 AM
I might be nuts, but I sure like the old stylish, retro look of those GG-1s.

Anyone got any stories or info about them?

Guilford350
09-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Well, I don't have too many stories to tell, as I was too young to ever see these brutes in action but I have seen them before in museums and such. The GG-1 has to be my favoroite electric locomotive, right next to the HHP-8. I just love the massive look and styling of them. I know they lasted right up into the Conrail days and worked the Northeast Corridor quite offten. Here are some specs of the GG-1:

Weight: 303,000 lb
Length: 79 1/2 ft
Tractive effort: 70,700 lb (continuous)
Maximum Speed: 100 mph
Drivers: 57 in
Horsepower: 4620 or 12 X 385

mu23
09-13-2003, 01:14 AM
The first electric loco I ever saw in action was a GG1 going down the NEC, shooting sparks in every direction. It was around 1970 and most impressive to this little kid. They are a great looking machine. I think they are set to a different voltage etc than is used today, so we will be unlikely to ever see one move again. Anybody know more about the possibility of making one move under its own power once more?

oltmannd
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Could a GG1 run today? Yes and no. In the late 70s there were plans to convert the NEC to 60Hz power as the 25hz power generating stations were about worn out and the use of 25Hz power by industry other than the PRR electrification had ceased. Several things started happening. The ex-NH was converted to 12,500 VAC 60Hz. An E44 frt loco was converted to run on both types of power. EMD operated two demo electric frt locos on Conrail, Amtrak bought new electric locos that could run on both (E60s) and Amtrak made plans to convert the rest of hte NEC to 60Hz and retire the GG1s

Before the convertion plans got fully underway, high power, solid state switch gear came onto the market. Amtrak found it could add power converters to their sub stations that would take 60Hz commercial power, rectify it, and chop it back into 25Hz power. (sort of like and EMD or GE "AC" locomotive). So, the 11,000VAC 25Hz continues on the NEC to this day.

So, the GG1s could still run, except that they have all had their main transformers removed. The coolant in the transformers was Pyranol (PCB) which was found to be a carcinogen and had tight environmental laws written around them. You can't just take the Pyranol out and replace it with mineral oil, because the windings have been soaking in it so long, that they are unretrievably contaminated. So, the transformers were taken out and sent away to be incinerated.

If a new main transformer was constructed, a GG1 could be resurrected.

The GG1s weren't candidates to be converted to 60Hz because they are straight AC machines, unlike the E44s, E60s, etc. which rectified the AC and used regular DC traction motors.

Also, the GG1s weren't flawless. They had lots of regular problems, not the least of which was truck frame cracking. Fortuately, steel castings can be kept going almost indefinately by welding and stress relieving. New castings of that size are not done in the US anymore - there are no foundaries left that do castings that large.

-Don

Williamb
09-18-2003, 07:40 PM

Mr. Wallace,

You are not alone in loving the lines of the GG1's. I regret being too young to see one in service in person, but I do remember watching Bobby Kennedy's funeral train for several hours on my black and white TV, and seeing those beautiful black Penn Central GG1's passing by the camera's again and again.

I beleive they were designed in part by Raymond Lowey, who had a real flair for style and asthetic. He helped design the F-M Trainmaster, F-M C-Liner and PRR T-1 steam engines too! See link...

http://www.rediscoveredpaper.com/t1.html

Gregory Wallace
09-19-2003, 04:14 AM
Those are terrific prints -- I encourage anyone following this thread to look at them. I wish I could afford to own both of them, but especially that S-1.

Thanks also for bringing to memory that Bobby Kennedy's train was pulled by GG1's -- I'm going to try to find some photos or footage, because I was only 7 back then, and don't recall many details.

Best regards,
~Gregory

Mr. Wallace,

You are not alone in loving the lines of the GG1's. I regret being too young to see one in service in person, but I do remember watching Bobby Kennedy's funeral train for several hours on my black and white TV, and seeing those beautiful black Penn Central GG1's passing by the camera's again and again.

I beleive they were designed in part by Raymond Lowey, who had a real flair for style and asthetic. He helped design the F-M Trainmaster, F-M C-Liner and PRR T-1 steam engines too! See link...

http://www.rediscoveredpaper.com/t1.html