PDA

View Full Version : Eat your heart out, Troy, $800 million

JRMDC
05-09-2011, 07:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localsjc/20110509/ts_yblog_localsjc/northeast-corridor-gets-rail-funding-originally-targeted-for-florida?bouchon=504,pa

Actually, I have no idea how Troy feels about HSR in Florida or anywhere else, or about his desire to pay taxes toward funding same. But he's a Florida guy and I needed to create a headline ...

Anyway, I am provisionally pleased. I don't actually know what the prospects of HSR ridership Tampa/Orlando are, but the NEC certainly needs lots of investment and I suspect (haven't looked at the numbers) is well worth it there, really a valuable corridor.

J

troy12n
05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I had mixed feelings about the Florida HSR. I voted for it when it was a state referendum in 2000 and 2004. But the plans as-designed sucked. It connected Orlando and Tampa which have virtually nothing between them, and the terminus in Tampa was in the ghetto. If they had continued it on to St. Pete, I could have supported it.

That said, our governor is a complete idiot and while i might sort of agree with him on this, every other thing he has done has been a disaster, and he is only a few months into his 4 year term.

Freericks
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
...our governor is a complete idiot...

Is that the first qualification required to run for office today?

:shock:

viper
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
It is in California. Nobody will ever be worse than Ahnuld Governator.

troy12n
05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
It is in California. Nobody will ever be worse than Ahnuld Governator.

I don't know, this dildo we have right now would give just about any terrible governor a run for his money

Hatchetman
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I think three of the last five governors of Illinois have wound up in prison. the guy we have now wound up in office without winning an election!

Freericks
05-10-2011, 08:34 PM
My home state of NJ presently has a bully (I don't care what his politics are, he is a nasty individual). Guy before him had all sorts of accusations of fraud and dirty dealings. Guy before him had to resign due to having his affair on payroll. Guy before him was kicked out for fraud. Etc, etc etc.

troy12n
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Yea, that guy Christie in NJ looks like a real tool too, same with the guy in Wisconsin. Them and our governor are all these new "teabaggers", I think they are going to wear out their welcome real quick. They try to run government like a business, the problem is, it ISN'T a business. You have to do all sorts of unprofitable stuff because you are required to by law or by demand of the people who put you in office.

Freericks
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Yikes - I fear this thread is going to get too political... I'll leave with there are lots of disapointing choices that have been made in our elected officials during my lifetime. I just wish so many of them wouldn't turn out to have their hand in the cookie jar.

MTM9
05-11-2011, 02:28 AM
I would counter what Troy said about government not being a business, but I know that he wouldn't listen.

troy12n
05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I would counter what Troy said about government not being a business, but I know that he wouldn't listen.

I would listen, but you would be wrong. Please try, I would like to hear this.

lock4244
05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Canadian National Railways was once a Crown Corporation (ward of the state). It pissed money like it was raining, which wasn't hard to do considering they were a political tool for whichever boob was in power. Once privatized, CN has become profitable.

What makes it hard to run a Gov't like a business are all of the political considerations. Gov't collects alot of money, has alot of employees, has offices, provides services, buys a ton of stuff. Nothing there that differentiates it from a business... except maybe that it has a perpetual monopoly.

troy12n
05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
What makes it hard to run a Gov't like a business are all of the political considerations. Gov't collects alot of money, has alot of employees, has offices, provides services, buys a ton of stuff. Nothing there that differentiates it from a business... except maybe that it has a perpetual monopoly.

And:
- has lots of services it is required by law or mandate to provide that it cannot cut. Private businesses do not have this restriction
- has levels of service it must maintain due to political pressure
- has projects thrown on them by politicians which they must perform

My point: if citizen A wants a service, or feels they waited to long in line at the DMV, they call up their local legislator. Local legislator calls the person in charge, bitches, and they hire a new person. Companies dont do this, there is acceptable wait times and no political pressure. Governments work in a whole different way.

lock4244
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
My industry, fire protection, is mandated by law, yet all service is provided by private contractors. That it is required by law does not mean it need be delivered by Gov't... contracting service out is a good way to save tax dollar (most of the time, corruption will happen - Ontario for example...).

In Ontario, our version of the DMV is contracted out.

Acceptable wait time in private sector is only acceptable until you competitor is faster for the same money... then you're finished. Political pressure is not a strong a motivator as the financial reward of success.

troy12n
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Contracting out is not the answer.

The only thing contracting out does is lower either the level of service or the wages of the people performing the tasks. These government contractors are in it to make money, that overhead guarantees whatever they charge the government will exceed what they could provide internally in most everything except very basic services like housekeeping and some very manual labor jobs. It also ensures you have a constant stream of new employees learning the job because they leave for greener pastures as soon as something better comes along.

milwman
05-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I will have a Go at this, It Isn't a business as it's not there to make money but serve the peoples needs, How much there needs are will be determined every 4 years. Employers or states don't make jobs but those that have money do by buying and paying tax, Every other cut or program is mostly BS and both sides are pulling the same thing worrying about how much the big guys make. It isn't going to solve it. You can drop an employers tax to 0 and if no one buying? No new jobs. Drop heath care cost and the little guys taxies and put a lot to work on roads and rail lines puts cash in the hands that will spend it. Florida needs jobs the guys that will build will spend in state like for cars to get to work and every one will feed off that. Be nice I was:)