PDA

View Full Version : An update on the RailPictures database

Chris Starnes
12-23-2002, 03:43 AM
First off let me express my thanks to all of our contributors to this point. Without the time you have spent to upload your photos, the site would still be in its pre-natal stages.

With that said, as of tonight we now have over 1,000 photos. I think this is very remarkable that we have reached this number this quickly! We have only been 'open' since last Friday.

Also, let me say a few things about rejected photos. While the vast majority of our user-submitted material to this point has been of a very high quality, we have had to reject some photos. We are determined to keep our database looking as good as we possibly can. If this means rejecting your uploads from time to time, we apologize. This is nothing against you of your photos, this just means that we are not looking for this sort of material in our database. We are trying to be as fair and equal as possible in our screening of photos. If you get a rejection, and feel that there has been an error made, PLEASE contact us as we will try to work out a solution.

One other note about photo uploads....If you spend the day chasing a train and end up with numerous shots of that particular train, please only select a few of the best shots. Please do not upload the ENTIRE day's worth of photography, especially if the views are very similar!

Once again, thanks for your time and effort to make this site grow!

Chris Starnes

pullin4u
12-26-2002, 04:08 AM
Uh huh, ya sure Chris. We all know you're going to be up late on the next few nights having a wee bit 'o that egg nog and approving submissions. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
All kidding aside, y'all have been doing a great job and the site looks like a big hit. Happy to be a part of it.
(Note to all: Chris doesn't like darker, moody shots of trains going away from the camera images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) laff.gif

Merry Christmas to all!!!

-George Widener

Chris Starnes
12-26-2002, 05:56 AM
<Note to all: Chris doesn't like darker, moody shots of trains going away from the camera>

This would be correct images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

CTS

n9pby
12-29-2002, 04:36 AM
Hello Chris:

Would you please consider posting some of the criteria that you and your screeners use to accept/reject photos? If I know what you are looking for in a photo, I can do a better job of discriminating ahead of time, improving the success rate and ultimately saving both of us some time.

What makes a good photo is something that tends to be subjective. What one person likes may hold little interest for another. Please give us some specifics that you use to judge a photo (eventually, I could see this developing into a tips and hints section or something).

In the first dozen of shots that I have submitted, I have tried to avoid the plain old roster shots (I have a gazillion of them like many photographers). I have tried to go for some of the more nicely composed, dramatic, or more unusual in most instances with mixed results. Yet, it seems that the rosters seem to have better success.

I guess one more question is whether photo submissions are strictly limited to motive power at this point?

Best regards,
Ray Meyer

Chris Starnes
12-30-2002, 06:24 AM
Ray,

Photos are not limited to motive power.

Variety is good, but at the same time we want to make our database as much 'visitor-friendly' as possible. When screening photos, I generally try to ask myself whether or not that this photo will cause people to come back and look at it in the future. We want to grab visitor's attention so they will keep coming back to our site.

In the future, we will come up with some sort of upload guidelines page, but for now if you are unsure, just look at the recent uploads page...if you think your shot is as good as/if not better than stuff that is already in the database, go ahead and upload it.

And yes, photo screening is subjective. There are dozens of photos that I personally just don't like that I have accepted due to the fact that they are good photos. Everyone sees a photo differently...we are just trying to keep the database as productive as possible.

Thanks,

Chris Starnes

pullin4u
12-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Chris,
One of the things Ray and I discussed on the WC list is that there seems to be some inconsistency with the approval process. Both Ray and I have had some photos rejected for poor image quality and/or lack of appeal; but yet at least two of the "editor's picks" are in our opinion of poor quality. I'm NOT taking away anything from the photographers, as much of the appeal a photo has resides with the person who takes it. After all, if I didn't like how a scene looks I wouldn't take the picture, muvch less submit it to a forum such as this.
I guess all we're looking for is some kind of guideline for what constitutes an acceptable shot. One other thing to consider might be to have more than one screener, as one person may not like a shot but the other may.
Please don't think I'm knocking this site or the job you are doing in any fashion, still having lots of fun here. Just giving you feedback and constructive criticism. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Happy New Year!!!

-George Widener

Chris Starnes
12-31-2002, 04:41 AM
We currently have two screeners in place. We are "training" others at this time.

I will be very 'spotty' on the internet scene over the next few days, when I get back in the saddle I will get with Chris and figure out what we need to do about this.

I will say this however...screening photos is a VERY challenging and time consuming task. Lots of times when I get a chance to sit down and screen, it is when I have just gotten home from work. We appologize if you all feel that there is no sign of consitency in the database.

We are doing all we can to make this site a viewer friendly as possible, and with the reactions we have so far, we seem to be doing a decent job.

One suggestion I do have, is if you feel that you have had a photo unfairly rejected...post a thread to this forum...that is what it is here for. See what others have to say about it.

CTS

WetRailsWA
09-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Humble beginnings...a post from 12-22-2002. As of today I see there are 178,000 photos online! The goals of the site have not changed either, if you look at this, one of the first posts in the forum.

Just a interesting piece of history!

First off let me express my thanks to all of our contributors to this point. Without the time you have spent to upload your photos, the site would still be in its pre-natal stages.

With that said, as of tonight we now have over 1,000 photos. I think this is very remarkable that we have reached this number this quickly! We have only been 'open' since last Friday.

Also, let me say a few things about rejected photos. While the vast majority of our user-submitted material to this point has been of a very high quality, we have had to reject some photos. We are determined to keep our database looking as good as we possibly can. If this means rejecting your uploads from time to time, we apologize. This is nothing against you of your photos, this just means that we are not looking for this sort of material in our database. We are trying to be as fair and equal as possible in our screening of photos. If you get a rejection, and feel that there has been an error made, PLEASE contact us as we will try to work out a solution.

One other note about photo uploads....If you spend the day chasing a train and end up with numerous shots of that particular train, please only select a few of the best shots. Please do not upload the ENTIRE day's worth of photography, especially if the views are very similar!

Once again, thanks for your time and effort to make this site grow!

Chris Starnes