PDA

View Full Version : Chesapeake & Albemarle

cassfan3
06-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Can anyone help me out with any info about what (if any) schedule this line runs on and what they might be up to over the next couple weeks. I have some time, and I'd like to catch them in action if possible.

Thanks!

ShortlinesUSA
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Nick,

I'm trying to see if I can get some updated info through a contact. The old schedule was pretty reliable and had them coming on duty at Elizabeth City around 10 am with a midday departure up to NS Portlock Yard. Believe they've readjusted it since then, moving up to an earlier departure, but then that seemed to be out the door when they whacked into drawbridge around 5 am coming back from Portlock last year.

The operation has historically been very friendly over the years. I don't do this much any more, but that is one I would actually consider calling. I believe they are using the old GP7Us, or at least one of them since they lost one of the GP38s to bridge collision. Last report from someone through there has the wrecked unit still sitting at the office in Elizabeth City.

cassfan3
06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Mike. Appreciate any info you get. I may ride up there tomorrow morning if the weather is ok to check things out. I'd love to catch the GP7u in action before its time comes.

ShortlinesUSA
06-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Nick,

Sorry it took a bit to get the info and hope it is to you in time. The C&A crew is going on duty at 0400. They have to be in and out of NS Portlock Yard by 0800, so that is the schedule driver. A run to Portlock is made 2-4 times a week depending on rock traffic. Tuesday and Thursday are possible days to run to Edenton.

Let us know how you do if you get up there!

cassfan3
06-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Let us know how you do if you get up there!

0400?! That's awfully early for railfaning ;) I hope to catch them in the coming week. We'll see. At least the run south should be in good AM light before the high sun takes over.

ShortlinesUSA
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I originally didn't post an update here because there was nothing of new information based on what I wrote above (M-F 0400 call at Elizabeth City), but I made a visit to the C&A in late October. Both GP38s are now out of service and have been sold, leaving the GP7Us as the sole power for the line. This provides an opportunity for a rare matched consist on the line:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=382490

However, I am getting word this probably won't last much longer, as the C&A is likely to get some additional power soon. Just a heads up for anyone with this on their "to do" list...

EDIT: looks like the image may not have worked, use this link if you don't see the photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=382490

cassfan3
01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
As of today the pair of GP7u's is still in charge. They ran to Chesapeake this am and returned south with 37 rock cars for Elizabeth City. We had hoped to chase the illusive pair all the way south from VA, but those guys must have started on the north end or made really good time this am with no work to do because we intercepted the southbound train on our way up this am around 0730 just north of Liz City at Camden. Didn't get a lot or shots or make it to any bridges as we'd hoped, but will post a few shots later. The crew's day ended rather sourly however, as they struck a pick up running light along Hwy 17 in Liz City. No one was hurt but their day was extended by a few hours for paperwork.

ShortlinesUSA
01-07-2012, 01:21 AM
If they were that early, it is almost guaranteed the train was tied up in Chesapeake last night and they drove to it this morning. Glad you were able to catch them. Looking forward to the photos!