PDA

View Full Version : Numb3rs

Andrew Matuska
02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Did anybody catch last weeks show NUMB3RS on CBS? It was about train wreaks and that caught my attention. Here is the summary of the show. It was based on one man recreating derailments that have already happened. They also had a photo in show form railpictures.net, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=50742.
The twist in the show was that the man who was setting up these derailments was the engineer of the Southern Pacific train that derailed on Cajon Pass which erupted a gas line under the right of way. I donít know what really happened to the crew, (info if anybody has it.) But in the show that engineer jumped and joined a Rail-Riders of America group. At every derailment site he leaves a sheet of paper with numbers on it and they canít figure it out until they are on the NTSB web site looking at some facts and figures. Then they realize that the numbers correspond with that certain train derailment. His goal was to ride a train down Cajon Pass and blow himself up and the train to prove that the railroads are not safe. As the people that are working on the case are talking to the widow of the engineer she says that the railroad covered up the whole thing blaming him for the derailment and to top it all off the railroad (SP) is paying here off to keep it quiet. Apparently her husband had the nickname 4-check Bob, meaning he was always checking things over. I know in the real derailment the cause was faulty dynamics, MU hoses not properly connected and wrong information on the tonnage per car. If anybody has any more info on the show or the actual derailment please let me know.

Andrew

Pat Lorenz
02-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Thats interesting, i remember seeing a show, i belive it was on TLC a couple of years ago about that same derailment. There was no mention of the crew being crazy, it was just typical SP operating heavy underpowered trains. That guy is nuts though, wanting to blow himself up like that. I cant belive CBS would waste there film airing a show like that.

David Telesha
02-28-2005, 02:23 AM
All I've heard about this episode is that a lot of stuff was inaccurate (leave it to hollywood) and I also heard some "trainspotters" (I didn't know we were still a colony :-P :-P ) were sterotyped as "nerds" along with a museum staffer who were included in the cast.

Way to go hollywood! Another worthless show.. :-P

ccaranna
02-28-2005, 02:24 AM
YES! I saw it, too. Didn't tune in until about 15 minutes into it, though. I just caught the photographer talking to the Feds about how his shot got messed up. That was good.

As far as the rest of it, the number part was interesting, but the whole show probably could have been a little better. The acting was a little weak, but you have to give them an "A" for effort. I also thought that the ending scene in the yard when the FBI caught up with the engineer in questions was a little anti-climatic.

But what can you expect- the railroads probably don't care for all the acitivity in and around their facilities, and most likely gave limited access to the studio.

busyEMT
02-28-2005, 02:35 AM
It was the first, and the last episode I will watch. I only watched in hopes of seeing more trains than they showed. I recognized the CSX picture right away.

E3429
02-28-2005, 03:13 AM
That show made Silver Streak and Runaway Train look like instructional videos. From the the first 5 minutes when the train was about to hit the school bus...and the engineer goes out to unclog a sander??? Uhhhhh... that doesn't happen. I'd have to say the show itself was a bigger train wreck than any they showed. Hauling nuclear waste INTO Los Angeles?? Yeah, ok. Sure thing.

Agree with BusyEMT-that was the first and last episode I'll watch...until they have one on a crazed pilot who jumps from the plane seconds before it crashes and he has to settle the score.

E

Pat Lorenz
02-28-2005, 03:23 AM
You know when ever i turn on the TV and watch shows like TLC or discovery, and there talking about monster machines, or air planes as well as big rigs, i always think to myself that America (and TV) doesnt give enough credit to the Railroads, after all america wouldnt be half as good or efficent with out them. But now after seeing or hearing about what a disaster that CBS episode was i hope the TV stations stick to the air planes and big tractors.