PDA

View Full Version : East Penn operating out of York, PA

ShortlinesUSA
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
For anyone not aware, East Penn Railways began operating NS' industrial track between York, PA and Stonybrook, PA Monday (8/1). I have yet to verify what power is being used on this line.

JRMDC
08-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I drove across that track literally hours ago. Didn't see any trains. :) Actually, I did see a beat up gon on the track, in the distance, first time I had ever seen anything at all. Hmm, maybe there was something coming ... :(

I go through there once or twice a year, on family vacation.

JRMDC
09-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Any operational details on this RR? Any chance of a weekend train? I am especially interested in the York segment mentioned above but also the Octoraro and Wilmington & Northern segments.

Someone just posted a shot of what I presume is a new paint scheme:

[photoid=374603]

Also note that East Penn's parent, Regional Rail LLC, has announced it is acquiring the Tyburn RR, to go along with East Penn and Middletown & NJ.

http://www.regional-rail.com/news.htm#20110819

Here is some info on the Tyburn:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41840

ShortlinesUSA
09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
No weekend ops of which I am aware. I haven't really heard any details on how often they're working the Stonybrook branch out of York. Power for that is ex Quaboag Terminal GP9 1701.

The two GP38-2s are new arrivals, and just hit the property last week. Operations on the Octo and W&N are headquartered at Kennett Square, PA. It used to be the W&N ran a train from Embreeville siding to CSX Wilsmere Yard M-W-F and operated the Octo on Tue-Thu. However, I believe they have since opened an ethanol transload near Kennett Square which keeps the Octo side busier now. It is possible this could make for some weekend running, but it would be a crap shoot. Best bet if you want something moving is to go on a weekday.

The office at Kennett Square seems to be generally friendly if you check in. Have you followed the W&N line in the last several years? It was very tight on trees when I went up there a few years ago, with generally limited access. A couple shots along the way, but definitely not wide open shooting by any means.

If you make a visit and get updated info, please let us know what's going on. I have heard the GP38s will displace some of the older GEs, so if you want shots of those, time's a wastin'!